https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/petrol-bombs-thrown-at-media-during-dissident-parade-in-derry-as-police-confirm-van-set-alight/a1835461558.html

Members of the media have been attacked with petrol bombs by some taking part in an Easter Monday commemoration event in Derry’s Creggan area. Images shared with the Belfast Telegraph show one of the petrol bombs landing close to where journalists and photographers were gathered and earlier reports suggested a number of bottles were also thrown at the media.

Those taking part are currently gathering in the area with a police helicopter overhead and a drone warning those in attendance that it is an illegal procession.

The PSNI also confirmed drivers should avoid the Central Drive area and the surrounding area in Creggan due to the presence of “a number of people with petrol bombs” and confirmed a van has been set alight.

A PSNI spokesperson added: “Police are aware of commentary on social media in relation to petrol bombs being thrown at media in Creggan this afternoon.

"Footage obtained will be reviewed. We would appeal to any journalist who was attacked, or anyone who witnessed any attack or who captured footage to report it to police on 101

Writing on social media, UUP leader Doug Beattie wrote: “Embarrassing, dangerous and completely pointless.

“Designed to raise tensions but will achieve absolutely nothing. A minority of nobodies.”

National Union of Journalists (NUJ) General Secretary Séamus Dooley said the attacks were “unacceptable”.

"This was a public commemoration. Photographers and reporters are entitled to report on such events without without threat or intimidation,” he said.

"The targeting of the media is this way is unacceptable and has no place in a democratic society. It is fortunate that there were not more serious injuries.

"Those responsible have no respect for the people of Derry and do not reflect the views of the vast majority of people across Northern Ireland. The NUJ extends support and solidarity to the journalists covering the commemoration.”

Police on the ground were attacked at the same event last year with petrol bombs and other missiles.

Earlier, the event organised by the Derry 1916 Commemoration Committee, started in the Central Drive area of Creggan before making its way to the City Cemetery.

There was a colour party made up of people wearing face coverings, sunglasses and paramilitary-style dress, carrying the Irish flag and a host of republican flags.

Groups marched in west Belfast and other areas in Northern Ireland across the Easter weekend as part of an annual public marking of the anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising against the then-British rule across the island of Ireland.

It comes as a form was lodged with the Parades Commission for part of the Easter Monday commemoration event.

Sources in the area believed it was a positive development that a form had been lodged with the Parades Commission “for the first time” in relation to the dissident republican parade at the City Cemetery.

However, the form was only in relation to that part of the event at the City Cemetery and did not include a parade from Creggan shops.

The form was submitted by the ‘Creggan Easter Committee’ over the weekend.

The Parades Commission confirmed it had been submitted, but said the form had been lodged late. Therefore, it was not registered on the Parades Commission website.

A spokesperson for the Parades Commission said: “The Commission received a notification from the ‘Creggan Easter Committee’ for an event at Creggan cemetery on Easter Monday.

“Notifications should normally be received 28 days in advance.”

The PSNI, meanwhile, commented: “Police were not passed any details from the Parades Commission about a parade in Creggan today, April 1.

“Police can confirm, however, an 11/1 was received by police on Saturday, March 30, in relation to an event in the City Cemetery this afternoon, April 1. Police forwarded this form to the Parades Commission for consideration

Ahead of the parade, SDLP MLA Mark H Durkan said the PSNI should be aware of attempts to “provoke” a response.

He believed it was best for police officers to serve any required notice and withdraw from the area.

Easter lily signs, an INLA sign and an Éistigí flag — the youth wing of Irish republican group Saoradh — are some of the symbols which mark the short route from Creggan shops to the City Cemetery.

An IRA sign also leans against a sculpture which sits atop a roundabout outside the grounds of St Mary’s chapel and depicts five young people dancing in a group.

The statue is just one example of how local people have tried to install uplifting artworks in the Creggan community over recent years

by Gazmac_868855

10 comments
  1. Gaz couldn’t wait a second longer, even though it was already posted by another guy.

  2. What media was attacked? I can’t see any media saying they were attacked only other media saying media was attacked haha

  3. Nothing new hear. Scumbags
    Need to cut that part of the map out it’s a shit hole of a place

  4. What do we expect? the troubles and rioting are somewhat glamourised and romanticised in these parts is it really a shock when the younger kids want to have a go

  5. Out for the day to celebrate murdering a female journalist, by attempting to murder more. Just share it far and wide and let the world see it.

  6. I remember when the fleg parades were going on way back police took a step back where I live

  7. The same people directing wains to do the dirty work while they keep their hands clean. Absolutely disgraceful to brainwash them into doing stuff they don’t have the balls to do themselves.

Leave a Reply