
No let up yet for flood-battered south Brazil. In total, 364 cities, towns and villages have been hit, many of which remain cut off from the world without access to drinking water or electricity or any means of calling for help
https://www.digitaljournal.com/world/no-let-up-yet-for-flood-battered-south-brazil/article#ixzz8ZTpZxk9B
by Wagamaga
1 comment
The rains may have abated, but floodwaters on Monday continued their assault on southern Brazil, with hundreds of municipalities in ruins amid fears that food and drinking water may soon run out.
Since the unprecedented deluge started last week, at least 83 people have died and 129,000 were ejected from their homes by floods and mudslides in Rio Grande do Sul state, authorities said.
The search is becoming ever more desperate for 111 reported missing among the devastation.
The disaster, which experts and the government have linked to climate change, has left the state resembling “a scene out of a war,” the state’s governor Eduardo Leite said Sunday.
Some regions had received the equivalent of a third of average annual rainfall in just a few days, it said.