Russia pulls out of European spaceport, abandoning a planned launch

19 comments
  1. Commissioner for Space, Thierry Breton, issued a statement on Saturday that said there would be no consequences for the Galileo or Copernicus constellations in terms of continuity or quality of service. Nor, he said, would Russia’s suspension of cooperation impact their development.

  2. I’m pretty sure this hurts Russia more than the E.U. Their Space program has been falling apart for a while and the main reason Western countries have continued to cooperate is mainly in the name of international diplomacy/solidarity.

  3. >In response to Russia’s action, the European Commissioner for Space, Thierry Breton, issued a statement on Saturday that said there would be no consequences for the Galileo or Copernicus constellations in terms of continuity or quality of service. Nor, he said, would Russia’s suspension of cooperation impact their development.

    A dozen Russians are just going to he replaced.

  4. This was expected. Last year Russia and China agreed to meet each other’s space needs. I believe Russia recently began to finalize it’s ISS deployments. Europe as well as other *friendly* countries can pick up the slack should Russia wish to maintain a presence on the ISS, which I’m confident they will. Europe is lucky because Russia’s space agency will likely take a huge hit from the latest conflict. The latest Galileo (etc) launches will go ahead on a different rocket. Our European partners got this. No sweat.

  5. The isolation begins. So does the new iron curtain.

    I’m so glad I don’t live in Russia, you have no idea.

    I hope we join NATO immediately even if they threaten to bring down the ISS in the process (that is not a joke, they already threatened to bring it down over EU).

Leave a Reply