From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.
Close
Read more
At least 33 people have been injured in missile strikes on Kharkiv and Odesa, as Vladimir Putin’s forces launched one of their largest drone attacks since invading Ukraine.
Kyiv’s military said its air defences shot down 71 of 145 drones launched by Russia at targets across Ukraine, and lost track of a further 71 drones likely due to active electronic warfare.
The latest drone attack would be on par with an overnight assault earlier this month described by Kyiv as Russia’s largest of the war, which also saw Russia use 145 drones to attack Ukraine, a significant number of which were decoys and others Iranian-made Shahed attack drones.
Separately, authorities in Kharkiv said at least 23 people had been injured and 40 buildings damaged in a missile attack, while at least 10 people were wounded in a missile strike on Odesa.
Ukraine, meanwhile, said it attacked an oil depot in Russia’s western Kaluga region, along with targets in Bryansk and Kursk.
It came as Russian state media reported that a British man fighting with the Ukrainian army had been captured in Kursk.
The UK has announced sanctions against 30 ships in Russia’s so-called “shadow fleet” which officials say were responsible for transporting billions of pounds of oil and oil products in the last year.
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said this is the largest UK package of its kind, and alleged that half of the ships transported some £3.4bn of oil and oil products in the last 12 months. Two insurance companies have also been targeted with sanctions.
The shadow fleet is made up of ships engaged in illegal operations to evade sanctions.
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 13:51
Kharkiv authorities have revised the casualty toll following Russia’s missile attack in the northeastern city.
At least 23 people are now reported to have been injured, with the attack having damaged more than 40 buildings on Monday morning, the regional governor and national police said.
At least 10 people were also injured in a missile attack on the southern city of Odesa, where residential buildings were also damaged, Ukraine’s interior ministry said.

At least 10 people were injured in the missile strike on Odesa (Oleksandr Gimanov/AFP via Getty Images)
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 13:16
Russia claims to have shot down eight ballistic missiles allegedly fired overnight by Ukraine.
“Russian air defence forces shot down eight ballistic missiles, as well as six guided US-made JDAM bombs and 45 aircraft-type drones in the past 24 hours,” Russia’s defence ministry was quoted as saying by state news.
While the veracity of the claims were unclear, Ukraine’s military said on Monday it had attacked an oil depot in Russia’s western Kaluga region, along with targets in Bryansk and Kursk.
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 13:10
Russia will consider deploying short and intermediate-range missiles in Asia if the United States deploys such missiles to the same region, deputy foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov has been quoted as saying by state news.
Japan’s Kyodo news agency reported on Sunday that Tokyo and Washington were aiming to put together a joint military plan for a possible Taiwan emergency, which would include the US deploying missiles to the Nansei Islands in Japan’s southwestern Kagoshima and Okinawa prefectures, and to the Philippines.
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 12:44
Britain’s foreign secretary David Lammy has said that “we will do all we can” to offer support to a British man who reportedly captured by Russian forces while fighting for Ukraine.
Mr Lammy was asked about the reports regarding the man who identified himself as James Scott Rhys Anderson and said he was a former British Army soldier in footage that was widely circulated on Sunday.
Speaking in Italy, Mr Lammy told reporters: “I have been updated about that development in the last couple of days and of course we will do all we can to offer this UK national all the support we can.”
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 12:32
A Ukrainian war crimes investigator was pictured photographing the site of the Russian missile attack on Kharkiv which left 10 people injured, the Associated Press reports.

(Sergey Bobok/AFP via Getty Images)
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 12:01
Russia’s land forces are now larger than when Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine in February 2022 but their quality has decreased, a top Nato military official has said.
“The quality of those forces has gone down,” Nato’s highest-ranking military officer Admiral Rob Bauer said, pointing to the state of the force’s equipment and the level of training of its soldiers.
“At the moment, the Russians are not the same threat as in February 2022, so we have a bit of time to prepare ourselves,” he said, adding that this meant ramping up investments into the defence industry.
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 11:46
Photographs have emerged showing the aftermath of a Russian missile attack on Kharkiv, as at least 10 people were injured.

Local residents walk among debris in the courtyard of a residential building following a missile attack in Kharkiv (Sergey Bobok/AFP via Getty Images)

(Sergey Bobok/AFP via Getty Images)
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 11:27
The Kremlin has claimed not to be particularly familiar with the views on Russia of Calin Georgescu, the far-right Romanian presidential candidate who has emerged as the shock winner in the first round of the country’s elections.
The success of Mr Georgescu, a little-known independent candidate who has claimed that Romania’s best chance lies with “Russian wisdom” and who won 22.9 per cent of the first round vote, has surprised both pollsters and commentators alike.
Given his anti-Nato stance, one political commentator told Reuters that Russian meddling could not be ruled out. “Based on Georgescu’s stance towards Ukraine and the discrepancy between opinion surveys and the actual result, we cannot rule [that] out,” said Sergiu Miscoiu, a political scientist at Babes-Bolyai University.
But asked on Monday for the Kremlin’s take on Mr Georgescu and his electoral prospects ahead of the second round of voting on 8 December, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters: “I would not make any predictions yet.
“We probably cannot say that we are that familiar with the world view of this candidate as far as relations with our country are concerned. For now, we understand very clearly the current leadership of Romania, which is not a friendly country to us. We will of course watch how the electoral processes develop and who wins.”

Calin Georgescu, running as an independent candidate for president, speaks to media after registering his bid in the country’s presidential elections (AP Photo/Alexandru Dobre)
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 11:12
The Ukrainian military has said it had struck an oil depot overnight in a reported drone attack in Russia’s western Kaluga region, whose capital lies just 100 miles southwest of Moscow.
The military also said it had struck “a number of important targets” overnight in Russia’s Bryansk and Kursk regions, which are adjacent to Ukraine.
Unverified footage appearing to show the aftermath was shared online, including by a Ukrainian ministerial adviser.
Andy Gregory25 November 2024 10:32