An attack on a Christmas market in Germany on Friday night, which killed five and injured about 200, has caused Luxembourg authorities to evaluate security at the country’s festive markets.

On Friday, a man – reportedly a 50-year-old Saudi doctor – drove into a Christmas market in the eastern German city of Magdeburg, killing several visitors and injuring many more.

How is Luxembourg reacting?

The Grand Ducal police told Luxembourg Times’ sister publication Virgule that they had been following the event in Germany closely.

“Following the attack, we instructed the field offices of the regional police directorates to review the security measures around the Christmas markets,” said Frank Stolz, the police’s head of communications.

Stolz reminded the public that law enforcement officers are “constantly present at the capital’s markets”. For security reasons, he did not want to specify the number of officers deployed.

Also read:Car attacker at German Christmas market kills at least two

A similar system is planned for the country’s other cities.

“As far as the smaller municipalities are concerned, we will consult with the organisers and make a decision regarding security. This can depend on the specific situation, but it’s safe to say that a police presence is essential,” said Stolz.

Increased police presence in Luxembourg City

Luxembourg City mayor Lydie Polfer expressed her condolences to the victims of the attack in Germany in an interview with Virgule.

“It gives you goosebumps. I naturally think of our Christmas markets and I’m delighted that we have a well-designed security system that will protect us”, said Polfer, referring to the concrete blocks at the various Christmas market locations and the electric bollards that block access to the “Chrëschtmaart” on Place d’Armes.

“The police chief for the capital’s district told me this morning that measures will be taken to be even more present,” said Polfer.

“One hundred percent security can never be guaranteed, as other types of attacks are also conceivable,” the mayor said, adding that “fortunately, nothing has happened yet. I’m hoping that it doesn’t take away the joy of the holiday season.”

On Saturday, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz commemorated the victims of Friday’s attack at the Magdeburg Christmas market. The perpetrator’s motives remain uncertain, but German authorities have arrested a suspect.

Several states around the world expressed their shock, including Rome, Madrid and Washington, with the US declaring its willingness to “provide assistance”.

In Luxembourg, Prime Minister Luc Frieden said he was “deeply shocked by this terrible attack”, while Home Affairs Minister Léon Gloden also paid tribute to the victims via the social network X.

(This article was first published by Virgule. Translation, adaptation and editing by Tracy Heindrichs. Additional reporting by AFP/dpa)