Boris Johnson says Mar-a-Lago great place for people of Gaza to settle
Your support helps us to tell the story

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

Your support makes all the difference.

Read more

Israel’s defence minister has warned that if Hamas does not release his country’s hostages by Saturday “the gates of hell will open on them”.

Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that Israel would resume “intense” fighting in Gaza if more hostages were not released by Saturday noon, as he ordered the army to send more troops to gather in and around the region.

Defence minister Israel Katz said: “If Hamas does not release the Israeli hostages by Shabbat – the gates of hell will open on them, just as the US president promised.

“The new Gaza war will be different in intensity from the one before the ceasefire – and will not end without Hamas’s defeat and the release of all the hostages, and will also enable the realisation of US president Trump’s vision regarding Gaza.”

Mr Trump has threatened to let “hell break out” if all the hostages are not freed by Saturday. So far, 21 have been released under last month’s truce. It’s understood 76 remain.

Hamas suspended the release of hostages after accusing Israel of breaching ceasefire obligations, including the delaying the return of Palestinians to northern Gaza, carrying out strikes across the enclave and hindering the entry of humanitarian aid.

Hamas ‘monsters’ could feel full force of military, Israeli minister warns

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 20:59

In pictures: Hostage families emotional in US hearing

Daniel Lifshitz comforts Ilana Gritzewsky during a House Foreign Affairs Committee roundtable discussion with family members of hostages held in Gaza

Daniel Lifshitz comforts Ilana Gritzewsky during a House Foreign Affairs Committee roundtable discussion with family members of hostages held in Gaza (REUTERS)

Ilay David, brother of hostage Evyatar David held in Gaza, at the House Foreign Affairs Committee roundtable discussion

Ilay David, brother of hostage Evyatar David held in Gaza, at the House Foreign Affairs Committee roundtable discussion (REUTERS)

Orna Neutra hugs Rep. Mike Lawler, as Ronen Neutra looks on. Their son Omer Neutra is a hostage

Orna Neutra hugs Rep. Mike Lawler, as Ronen Neutra looks on. Their son Omer Neutra is a hostage (REUTERS)

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 19:59

Signs of hope in talks to rescue truce

There are signs that the gaps in the fragile ceasefire deal could be bridged.

A Hamas official, Mahmoud Merdawi, told The Associated Press there were “positive signals” the three hostages will be released as planned on Saturday but the group had not yet received a commitment from Israel that it would adhere to the deal.

An Egyptian official with knowledge of the talks said the two sides were close to an agreement and that Israel had committed to delivering more tents, shelters and heavy equipment to Gaza.

The dispute was sparked when Hamas accused Israel of failing to meet some commitments under the truce, including the delivery of tents and other aid, and said it would delay the next hostage release on Saturday.

Israeli officials had no immediate comment. Israel says it is fulfilling its obligations under the deal.

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 18:59

Explainer: Why ceasefire deal is at risk of collapse

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 18:20

Shortfall in tents being sent to Gaza at heart of ceasefire crisis

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 18:00

‘Gates of hell will open’, Israeli minister warns Hamas

The “gates of hell will open” on Hamas if it does not release his country’s hostages by Saturday, the Israeli defence minister has warned.

In a security consultation, Israel Katz said: “I came here to make sure that the IDF is properly prepared for the renewal of the war in Gaza.

“The entire ceasefire agreement with the Hamas murderers was intended to bring about the rapid release of the Israeli hostages who are being held in extremely harsh conditions in Gaza, and in return for this, Israel agreed to pay heavy prices.

“If Hamas stops releasing the hostages, then there is no agreement and there is war.

“If Hamas does not release the Israeli hostages by Shabbat, the gates of hell will open on them, just as the US president promised.

“The new Gaza war will be different in intensity from the one before the ceasefire.”

He said the new war would “not end without Hamas’s defeat and the release of all the hostages”, adding it would “also enable the realisation of US president Trump’s vision regarding Gaza”.

Donald Trump has pushed a plan to resettle the Palestinian population to Egypt and Jordan.

Defense Minister Israel Katz, the head of the IDF Major General Oded Biyuk, and the head of the Operations Division, Brigadier General Israel Shomer

Defense Minister Israel Katz, the head of the IDF Major General Oded Biyuk, and the head of the Operations Division, Brigadier General Israel Shomer (Elad Malka, Ministry of Defense)

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 17:02

Egypt and Jordan resist Trump plan to resettle Palestinians

Egyptian president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Jordanian King Abdullah said Gaza should be rebuilt without displacing Palestinians, Egypt’s presidency said, reporting a phone call between the two on Wednesday.

US president Donald Trump has continued to push for a plan to resettle the Palestinian population to both Egypt and Jordan, a proposal both countries have rejected repeatedly.

Jane Dalton12 February 2025 16:40

Egypt and Qatar are stepping up efforts to save the Gaza ceasefire deal, state-affiliated Egypt’s Al Qahera news TV reported on Wednesday, citing an Egyptian source.

The ceasefire has looked increasingly fragile since Hamas said this week it was postponing the release of any more Israeli hostages held in Gaza, accusing Israel of violating the terms of the ceasefire agreement.

US President Donald Trump has warned Palestinians that “hell will break loose” if Israeli hostages are not released on Saturday. Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel will resume “intense fighting” if Hamas does not meet the deadline.

Egyptian sources told Reuters that Qatar and Egypt were in discussions with Hamas and Israel to prevent the cancellation of the ceasefire deal and to ensure its completion.

Egypt and Qatar alongside the United States brokered the deal that took effect on January 19 after more than a year of extensive diplomatic efforts.

Alex Ross12 February 2025 15:19

Hamas delegation arrives in Cairo for Gaza ceasefire talks

A Hamas delegation arrived in Cairo on Wednesday to continue Gaza ceasefire talks with the second phase of the deal supposed to get underway, a statement by the Palestinian militant group said.

Hamas said earlier this week it would stop the release of hostages scheduled for Saturday until further notice.

Alex Ross12 February 2025 14:54

Egypt’s president to stay away from White House if Gaza displacement on agenda – reports

Egypt’s president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will not travel to Washington for talks at the White House as long as the agenda includes US president Donald Trump’s plan to displace Palestinians from Gaza, two Egyptian security sources have said.

Mr Trump has infuriated the Arab world with a plan to permanently displace the population of more than 2 million Palestinians from the Gaza Strip, claim U.S. control of it and turn it into the “Riviera of the Middle East”.

He has demanded Egypt and Jordan take in the Palestinians, and has threatened to withdraw aid from the two U.S.-allied Arab states if they refuse.

Egypt has said Mr Trump had extended an open invitation to Sisi to visit the White House earlier this month. A US official said no date for such a visit has been set. The Egyptian presidency and foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Alex Ross12 February 2025 14:20