PA MediaSinn Féin Senator Conor Murphy has said his party’s boycott of St Patrick’s Day celebrations in the US “wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly”, but was “necessary”.
On Friday, the party announced it will not travel to Washington DC for the annual festivities next month over US President Donald Trump’s stance on the Israel-Gaza conflict.
First Minister Michelle O’Neill said she is “taking a stand against injustice” and can not attend events “in good conscience” following the US president’s remarks on Gaza earlier this month.
However, no invites have been officially issued yet.
‘Necessary to take a stand’
First Minister Michelle O’Neill says it is “important that political leaders take a stand”
DUP assembly member Diane Dodds described Sinn Féin’s position as “rank hypocrisy”.
Also speaking on Sunday Politics, she said that the party attended the White House last year “when bombs were falling in Gaza, to celebrate St Patrick’s Day with a more nationalist president”.
Dodds described the US as Northern Ireland’s “most important foreign direct investment partner”.
She accused Sinn Féin of “positioning themselves with left-wing politics in the Republic ahead of the presidential election”.
Earlier, DUP leader Gavin Robinson criticised the decision as “short-sighted and counterproductive”, and confirmed his party would attend the St Patrick’s Day events.
When power-sharing is functioning, it is custom for the first and deputy first ministers to make the trip.
O’Neill said she had informed Deputy First Minister Emma Little-Pengelly of her decision this morning, and will not “stand in her way” if she wishes to go.
‘Cannot be business as usual’
There had been growing calls for Sinn Féin to make its position clear, after the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) clarified it will not take part in celebrations if invited.
On Friday, SDLP leader Claire Hanna said she was glad there was a “realisation things cannot be business as usual” with the current US administration.
On social media, former SDLP leader and MP Colum Eastwood questioned why the party did not boycott last year’s event.
“We used last year to push for a permanent ceasefire,” Conor Murphy told the BBC.
“The American administration at that time was in the space of advocating for a viable two-state solution… that has changed.
“Colum Eastwood, I think, needs to look at his own position, on the one hand he boycotts the White House, on the other he sits on the government benches in London.”
PA MediaMicheál Martin accused Sinn Féin of “engaging in politics”
Eight Irish ministers are travelling to the US next month including Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) Micheál Martin.
On Friday, O’Neill said it was “the right thing” for Martin to still attend the US celebrations, noting the “unique” opportunity for “one-on-one time” with the US President.
She said that the taoiseach should “never miss” the chance to express the “depth of feeling” of the Irish people.
Following Friday’s announcement, the taoiseach said Sinn Féin were “engaging in politics” and said he has a “responsibility to the country” to attend the celebrations.
Earlier, Sinn Féin president Mary Lou McDonald said she had followed the president’s comments on Gaza with “growing concern”.
She said her decision not to attend events this year is a “principled stance” against “the call for a mass expulsion of the Palestinian people from Gaza”.
At a press conference, McDonald acknowledged the US as a “valued friend” of Ireland, citing strong peace ties and its role in the Irish economy.
However, she criticised the current US administration as “catastrophically wrong” on Palestine, and called for a permanent ceasefire and a negotiated two-state solution “which guarantees peace and security for both Palestinians and Israelis”.
Why do politicians travel to Washington?
Getty ImagesIn 2019, then-Taoiseach Leo Varadkar presented US President Donald Trump with a bowl of shamrocks at the White House
