France, Germany, Italy and the UK said on Saturday they supported an Arab-backed plan for the reconstruction of Gaza that would cost $53 billion (€50.5 billion) and avoid displacing Palestinians from the enclave.

“The plan shows a realistic path to the reconstruction of Gaza and promises — if implemented — swift and sustainable improvement of the catastrophic living conditions for the Palestinians living in Gaza,” the foreign ministers of the four countries said in a joint statement.

The plan, which was put forward by Egypt and endorsed by Arab leaders earlier this week, has been rejected by US President Donald Trump who floated the idea of turning Gaza into a “Riviera of the Middle East.

More to follow…