French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Monday that France will host an international conference in the coming months, together with Saudi Arabia, to advance a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“We will work towards an international conference on a two-state solution, which France will organize together with Saudi Arabia,” Macron said at a press conference with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Cairo.

Macron said the initiative would be prepared in close cooperation with regional partners, including Egypt.

He stressed the need for a political solution to ensure long-term stability in the region.

“But we have a deep conviction that only a political response will truly ensure stability and security in Gaza and the entire region, and we will act in that spirit,” he added.

He pointed to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

“We condemn the continued Israeli attacks on Gaza, which represent a dramatic blow to the civilian population, the hostages, their families and the entire region. We call for an immediate return to the ceasefire and the release of all hostages still held by Hamas in Gaza,” Macron said, adding:

“We firmly oppose the displacement of the population and any annexation of Gaza and the West Bank. This would be a violation of international law and a serious threat to the security of the entire region, including Israel,” he added.

He also expressed support for the reconstruction of Gaza.

“I reiterate my support for the Gaza reconstruction plan approved by the Arab League on March 4, and I welcome here the crucial work of Egypt on this plan, which offers a realistic path for the reconstruction of Gaza and must also pave the way for a new Palestinian administration in the enclave led by the Palestinian Authority,” he stressed.

Macron arrived in Cairo yesterday for a three-day visit to Egypt to hold talks with Egyptian officials on bilateral ties and regional development.

A trilateral summit to discuss the situation in Gaza is scheduled for Monday, with Sisi, Macron and Jordan’s King Abdullah II meeting.

The summit comes as the Israeli military has escalated its attacks on the Palestinian territory, where more than 1,300 people have been killed and 3,400 injured in airstrikes since March 18, despite a ceasefire and prisoner exchange agreement.

More than 50,700 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza in a brutal Israeli offensive since October 2023, most of them women and children.

The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants in November last year for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza.

Israel is also facing a genocide charge before the International Court of Justice, AA writes.