A teenage boy and a man have been charged after a nine-year-old was killed when he was accidentally shot in the neck on a rural property.
Emergency services were called to a property in Windellama, south of Goulburn in NSW, about 11.20am on Sunday by reports of a shooting, police said.
When officers attached to the Hume police district arrived, they were told a nine-year-old boy had been injured after the accidental discharge of a firearm.
A police spokesperson said the child had been treated for serious neck injuries by NSW ambulance paramedics but he had died at the scene.
Police set up a strike force to investigate and later arrested a 14-year-old boy and a 33-year-old man.
The teen was charged with possessing an unauthorised firearm, investigators said on Monday. He was granted conditional bail to appear at a children’s court on Thursday.
skip past newsletter promotion
Sign up to Afternoon Update: Election 2025
Our Australian afternoon update breaks down the key election campaign stories of the day, telling you what’s happening and why it matters
Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
after newsletter promotion
The man was charged with allowing an unauthorised person to possess a firearm and failing to keep a firearm safely. He is due to appear before Goulburn local court on 14 May.