There were reports of strikes and civilian deaths from both Russia and Ukraine on Friday morning, despite a plea from President Donald Trump to cease attacks as he tries to broker peace between the warring parties.
Why it Matters
Trump had told Russian President Vladimir Putin to “STOP” in a rare direct criticism. He had also blamed Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky for making statements that damage the emerging peace process.
The White House has threatened to walk away from peace talks unless progress is made soon, but the constant exchange of fire adds more pressure to an already strained process at risk of collapsing entirely.

An image of the aftermath of the attack on Pavlohrad shared on Telegram by Dnipropetrovsk’s Governor Serhiy Lysak.
An image of the aftermath of the attack on Pavlohrad shared on Telegram by Dnipropetrovsk’s Governor Serhiy Lysak.
Dnipropetrovsk Governor’s Office
What to Know
Ukraine’s Air Force said 103 Russian strike drones were launched overnight, and it had shot down at least 41 of them. Meanwhile, Russia’s defense ministry said it had intercepted and destroyed 79 Ukrainian drones.
Serhiy Lysak, governor of Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, posted on Telegram that his region had been “massively attacked” again by Russian drones on Friday, with residential buildings hit in Pavlohrad, including a high-rise.
Lysak said three people had died, including a child, as a result. Several were injured, also including children.
Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov of Russia’s Belgorod said on Telegram that his border region had experienced shelling and drone attacks overnight, leaving homes damaged and a woman dead.
What People Are Saying
A strike by Russia on Kyiv that killed 12 civilians on Wednesday prompted a direct appeal from President Trump to Putin, who posted his Truth Social platform: “I am not happy with the Russian strikes on KYIV. Not necessary, and very bad timing. Vladimir, STOP! 5000 soldiers a week are dying. Lets get the Peace Deal DONE!”
Ukraine’s President Zelensky posted to X: “It has been 44 days since Ukraine agreed to a full ceasefire and a halt to strikes. This was a proposal from the United States. And it has been 44 days of Russia continuing to kill our people and evading tough pressure and accountability for its actions.”
Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for the Russian Foreign Ministry, accused Zelensky of seeking to “torpedo the emerging peace process at any cost.”
What’s Next
Trump’s Special Envoy Steve Witkoff arrived in Moscow on Friday to discuss U.S. proposals for peace directly with Putin.
Trump has said he thinks there is a deal on the table that both sides could agree to, but negotiations continue to bridge the differences on key issues such as territorial concessions and the future of Ukrainian security.