Russia has recently intensified its provocative actions at sea and in the air, according to Finnish officials.

Antti Häkkänen speaking in a TV studio.

Open image viewer

Defence Minister Antti Häkkänen (NCP) spoke to Yle on Saturday, 24 May 2025. Image: Petteri Bülow / Yle

Minister of Defence Antti Häkkänen (NCP) on Saturday said Russia had stepped up activity in the Baltic Sea, contributing to rising tensions in the region.

Speaking on Yle’s Ykkösaamu chat show, he said that while Russia’s military presence in the region is nothing new, Moscow’s guarding of its shadow fleet marks a shift.

“What is new is that Russia is now protecting tankers belonging to its shadow fleet in the narrow waters of the Gulf of Finland. This has involved military escort operations and the presence of armed forces,” Häkkänen said.

On Friday, the government reported that two Russian military aircraft had violated Finnish airspace off the coast of Porvoo. According to Häkkänen, these aircraft were Russian fighter jets.

Last week, a vessel belonging to Russia’s shadow fleet failed to comply with orders from Estonian authorities, and a Russian fighter jet was also observed in the area at the time.

These events come at a time when Russia is increasing its activity along the Finnish border.

Häkkänen said Finland’s security situation remains strong, emphasising close cooperation with Nato allies as well as the US administration.

“I don’t see any immediate threat to Finland. But it’s clear that Russia is strengthening its military capabilities and remains an aggressive and dangerous neighbour to all of Europe,” he noted.