Meghan Markle is ‘scared’ to return to the UK and Harry is a ‘huge target’

Meghan MarklePrince Harry and Meghan are not provided with official royal protection while in the UK(Image: Getty Images)

Trooping the Colour 2025 marked another significant blow to relations within the Royal Family as Prince Harry steered clear. The Duke of Sussex was not in attendance at last weekend’s celebration of the King’s official birthday.

Queen Camilla joined Charles, as well as Prince William, Kate Middleton and their children George,11, Charlotte,10, and seven year old Louis. Harry was last in the UK in May, where he suffered defeat at the High Court over his ongoing battle to have security measures reinstated for him and his family when they visit from the US.

The Duke of Sussex then gave an interview, where he revealed he hoped to reunite with his father but he couldn’t bring his family to the UK until wife Meghan Markle and kids Archie, two, and Lilibet, four, were guaranteed to be “safe”.

Now a royal expert claims it’s not likely the youngsters will ever build up a close relationship with their cousins, or spend much time in the UK, because of Harry and Meghan’s worries, writes the Mirror.

King Charles III with Prince William, Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales, Princess Charlotte of Wales, Prince George of Wales and Prince Louis of Wales during Trooping The Colour 2025 on June 14, 2025 in London, England. King Charles with Prince William, Kate, Princess Charlotte, Prince George and Prince Louis of Wales during Trooping The Colour 2025 on June 14(Image: Mark Cuthbert/Getty Images)

Former royal editor Duncan Larcombe said: “Meghan understandably feels scared about coming to the UK with the children.

“The threats are real and genuine. The threat is from lunatics, radical protesters that might want to make a name for themselves by jumping in front of them. Then of course you have the worst type, the terrorist threat. And there’s no doubt Harry – and his family, as a result – is a huge target.”

Former actress Meghan recently embarked on a change of direction in her career, with her recent eight-part Netflix show With Love, Meghan topping charts across the globe.

Earlier today, she took to social media to share her delight as her lifestyle brand As Ever products once again sold out in minutes following an announcement of a restock earlier this week.

She’s also been pictured in recent months enjoying a Beyonce gig and shared intimate family moments from a holiday to Disneyland in a reel of posts to Instagram. Earlier this month she and Harry hit the headlines once again as they shared their viral Baby Momma dance clip which was filmed when she went into labour with Lilibet.

But despite Meghan feeling “stronger” than ever and sharing fun parts of her life with fans, she’s still hugely worried about the safety of her nearest and dearest.

In the clip, a heavily pregnant Meghan twerks to the Starrkeisha song Baby MommaIn the clip, a heavily pregnant Meghan twerks to the Starrkeisha song Baby Momma(Image: Meghan/Instagram)

A source told the Mirror: “In some ways she’s feeling stronger and she wants to share that.

“But she’s still terrified of putting her kids at risk by coming back to the UK – any parent would panic if they were in Meghan’s shoes.

“So even though Harry is really feeling the absence of his dad, especially after Trooping the Colour and Father’s Day, the security stuff will probably always be an issue.

“He knows that things could’ve been so different if things had gone another way, but it’s been five years since they left the UK and the chances of them coming back, even for a visit, seem slim to none. It’s heartbreaking.”

In May, Harry gave a controversial interview with the BBC in which he said he “would love reconciliation” with his family.

Duncan Larcombe reckons that the duke is probably “full of regrets” now about being so candid.

He added: “Harry is a sensitive soul and always wore his heart on his sleeve, so whether he’d admit it publicly or not, I’m sure he’s full of regrets and wishes he’d done things differently.

“With Trooping the Colour and Father’s Day falling on the same weekend, it was bound to make him look back at the happy relationships he once had with his brother and dad, and I’m sure he’d love to be able to rebuild those.”

Duncan also states that Princess Diana’s death is something that is an ever-present thought for Meghan and Harry, as a “contributing factor” to her horror crash in Paris in 1997 was the lack of official protection from the Metropolitan Police.

The expert explains that official royal security is armed and round the clock, provided by top Met Police officers as well as MI5, who “surround them in a ring”. He added: “Without the official support and security, Harry and Meghan are left with two or three bodyguards who are pretty blind to what the potential threats are.”

Join the Daily Record WhatsApp community!

Get the latest news sent straight to your messages by joining our WhatsApp community today.

You’ll receive daily updates on breaking news as well as the top headlines across Scotland.

No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the Daily Record team.

All you have to do is click here if you’re on mobile, select ‘Join Community’ and you’re in!

If you’re on a desktop, simply scan the QR code above with your phone and click ‘Join Community’.

We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.

To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose ‘exit group’.

If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.