Welcome to Daily Mail Australia’s live new blog. Here’s what is making news on Monday.

When the East Coast ‘bomb cyclone’ will hit

Millions of Aussies will soon be in the path of a ‘bomb cyclone’ fuelled by damaging winds and heavy rain.

Forecasts show a complex system of coastal lows could rapidly form offshore on Monday night, causing flash flooding, coastal erosion and storm damage along the NSW coast.

The most intense falls are expected over the Central Coast, delivering up to 200mm of rain.

However the Bureau of Meteorology has also warned that a ‘subtle shift’ could dump those falls on Sydney or the Mid North Coast.

‘The current event is shaping to bring most of the rainfall south,’ the bureau’s Angus Hines said.

‘But it would take a subtle shift … and bring in some of that heavier rain into the mid-north coast, which is extremely sensitive to rain.’

Authorities have warned residents to prepare for the worst.

‘We are prepared here at the State Emergency Service … but what we need is for you to be prepared,” NSW SES deputy commissioner Debbie Platz said on Monday.

‘We have been monitoring this system since Thursday of last week and so our state emergency services, including our partner agency, are all very well prepared and planned for this event.

‘We have deployed high clearance vehicles, aerial assets and personnel into the areas which we think will be most impacted by this forecasted weather.’

The forecasts have those impacted by last month’s devastating floods nervous.

Dairy farmer Michael Jeffery, whose sodden farm lies on the banks of the Macleay River, near Kempsey, said the rain was bringing people’s minds back to May’s catastrophic flood event.

‘It’s been raining all day already and that’s really got everybody on edge,’ he told AAP on Monday.

‘It causes a lot of concern, because your livelihood is at risk, all the infrastructure on your farm that’s already been damaged by a flood and you worry about all your cattle and their wellbeing.’

With Australian Associated Press

Sydney Wet Weather
Mandatory Credit: Photo by Richard Milnes/Shutterstock (15314363g) People at the bus stops outside Central Station during rainy weather. Wet weather continues in Sydney, Australia, George Street, NSW - 22 May 2025 14771453 14858951
Cars make their way through floodwaters at Albion Park, Wollongong, Friday, May 23, 2025. Torrential rain continues to fall across New South Wales causing widespread flooding and resulting in the death of 4 people on the Mid North Coast. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins) NO ARCHIVING 14858951
Brace for impact: A wet and wild few days ahead for two states

Large swathes of eastern NSW and south-east Queensland will be smashed by powerful winds, hazardous surf, heavy rain, and flooding in the coming days as an east coast low develops.

A deepening coastal trough over south-east Queensland and north-east NSW has already brought widespread falls of up to 70mm as of Monday morning, Weatherzone reported.

Much of the NSW coast between Batemans Bay and Port Macquarie is at risk of experiencing wind gusts exceeding 100km/h on Wednesday morning, with areas on and east of the Great Dividing Range also experiencing strong winds.

The NSW Mid North Coast and parts of the Hunter are in the firing line, just weeks after floods devastated the regions.

Downpours of 150-200mm are expected over a period of 24-36 hours to early Wednesday. Winds will also intensify overnight into Tuesday, most likely south of Coffs Harbour.

The wild conditions will generate large and hazardous surf, which will likely lead to significant erosion in some areas of coastal NSW.

Significant wave heights of 5 to 6 metres are expected across the coast between Seal Rocks and Batemans Bay, with large waves extending further south and north. Maximum wave heights of 11 to 13 metres are also expected over a similar region.

The east coast low is expected to move east, further into the Tasman Sea on Thursday afternoon.

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Richard Milnes/Shutterstock (15314363c) People at the bus stops outside Central Station during rainy weather. Wet weather continues in Sydney, Australia, George Street, NSW - 22 May 2025 14771453  14858951
A person uses a paddleboard on a flooded street in Maitland, New South Wales, Friday, May 23, 2025. (AAP Image/Renee Moore) NO ARCHIVING 14858951
Update on missing camper lost in the bush for five days

A man who spent five days in bushland on the NSW south coast has been found safe and well.

Christopher Moore, 38, failed to return home from a camping trip at Jerrawangala, about 32km south of Nowra on Friday.

He had been dropped off on Wednesday and did not arrive at his pick-up spot two days later.

Authorities spent thre days scouring the Jerrawangala and Wandandian regions before they found Mr Moore in thick shrub off Twelve Mile Road shortly before noon on Monday.

He was taken to Shoalhaven Base Hospital for assessment.

Aussie zoo announces heartbreaking update

Perth Zoo has been rocked by the tragic death of a baby gibbon shortly after birth.

Gynaecological experts were called in to perform a caesarian after the zoo’s white-cheeked gibbon Jermei (pictured below) went into labour over the weekend.

The baby gibbon had a faint heartbeat on delivery but sadly didn’t survive.

‘Our incredible animal care team monitored her 24/7. But as time passed during her labour, it became clear that nature wasn’t taking its course,’ the zoo posted on Monday.

‘Our teams gave their absolute all, but nature had other plans.’

The tragedy comes months after Jermei suffered a stillbirth last year.

‘Right now, our focus is on helping Jermei recover and supporting the family group through this loss,’ the post continued.

‘We hope you understand that there may be times when the family are tucked into the night quarters on your next visit.’

14858951 Australia News
PERTH, AUSTRALIA -2 JUL 2019- View of the Perth Zoo, a zoological park in South Perth, Western Australia.; Shutterstock ID 1553300405; purchase_order: -; job: -; client: -; other: -
Mystery man finally identified 19 months after his body was found in a Queensland river

The remains of a man found in the Maroochy River almost two years ago have finally been identified after a member of the public came forward.

Following extensive investigations that extended overseas, the man has been identified as Alexander Marinis, 47, who was originally from Yarram in Victoria.

He had moved to the Sunshine Coast earlier in 2023.

Police were able to solve the mystery after a person, who had previously dealt with Mr Marinis in a professional capacity in Maroochydore, recognised him after seeing a public appeal.

‘This information led us to being able to confirm his identify through DNA testing and contact the man’s family,’ Detective Senior Sergeant Robert Lowry said.

‘I also want to thank the detectives that worked on this investigation with such perseverance and tenacity.

‘Detectives went to great lengths to identify the man including several public appeals, door knocks, DNA testing, working to match the internal surgical nails in the man’s right knee with a hospital and enquiries through the global INTERPOL network.’

Police have ruled out foul play and will prepare a report for the coroner.

Mr Marinis has since been laid to rest by loved ones.

Alexander Marinis - Maroochydore John Doe
Aerial Shot Bridge Maroochy at the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia; Shutterstock ID 1435123349; purchase_order: -; job: -; client: -; other: - 12807853
Maroochydoore John Doe
Harrowing footage emerges of moments after horror shark attack

A hero rescuer charged into the water to punch a shark seconds after it attacked a teenager – and it kept stalking rescuers as they brought the victim to shore.

The vision shows the two-metre long shark lurking close to shore and giving chase to the victim as a group of surfers and fellow beachgoers rushed to the young man’s aid.

Thousands of Aussies entitled to a massive refund as health insurer issues a grovelling apology

One of Australia’s biggest health insurers will pay back $35 million after thousands of hospital claims were incorrectly rejected.

Bupa has admitted to engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct and making false or misleading representations by advising customers they were not entitled to private health insurance benefits for their entire claim, when in fact this was not the case.

Bupa has also admitted to engaging in unconscionable conduct in connection with its assessment of 388 mixed coverage claims, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Many customers were left thousands of dollars out of pocket and were forced to fork medical treatments that Bupa was in fact obliged to pay.

Other impacted customers upgraded to more expensive policies to ensure coverage.

The consumer watchdog has instituted Federal Court proceedings against Bupa, which is Australia’s second biggest health insurer.

Bupa APAC CEO Nick Stone has issued an apology and acknowledged that it should ‘never have happened.’

‘Our priority has been to communicate and compensate our affected health insurance customers and providers, along with putting in place measures to help ensure this does not happen again,’ he said in a statement.

Bupa has started compensating affected members, medical providers and hospitals, and has

already paid $14.3 million for more than 4,100 affected claims to date.

China’s urgent warning to Albo

China has warned Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to not to increase defence spending, claiming both countries are ‘friends, not foes’.

Xiao Qian, China’s top diplomat in Australia, has criticised US President Donald Trump‘s push for Western allies to increase defence spending.

Following last week’s NATO meeting, all member nations – apart from Spain – agreed to lift defence spending to five per cent of GDP over the next decade.

Qian has ramped up the pressure on Albanese to keep military spending down to its current level, which aims to reach 2.3 per cent of GDP over the next ten years.

Huge setback for nurses who allegedly declared to ‘kill Israelis’ in viral video

The two nurses at the centre of a viral video where they allegedly made violent threats against Israelis have copped further sanctions.

Ahmad Rashad Nadir and Sarah Abu Lebdeh have both received a two-year ban from the National Disability Insurance Scheme, four months after they were stood down from their jobs at Bankstown Hospital.

The pair were among 133 individuals and businesses banned from working with NDIS participants in the first five months of 2025 for various reasons, the Daily Telegraph reported.

They were previously banned from working as nurses nationwide, and their registrations have been suspended by the NSW Nursing and Midwifery Council.

The pair were working at south-west Sydney‘s Bankstown Hospital in February when they made the alleged threats in a conversation via online platform Chatruletka.

The pair are currently before the courts.

Sarah Abu Lebdeh (centre) is protected by supporters as she departs the Downing Centre Local Court, Sydney, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. Two nurses have been charged over comments made in a video chat with an Israeli influencer. (AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi) NO ARCHIVING
Ahmad Rashad Nadir (right) arrives at the Downing Centre Local Court, Sydney, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. Two nurses have been charged over comments made in a video chat with an Israeli influencer. (AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi) NO ARCHIVING
Major update after man’s body was found in a car

A man will face court charged with murder after another was found dead inside a car on the Gold Coast.

Police allege a Gold Coast man, 44, suffered head injuries during an altercation at Southport property on Saturday night.

Emergency services were called to the address shortly before 10pm after the man was found unresponsive in a nearby vehicle.

He was rushed to Gold Coast University Hospital, where he died early Sunday morning.

Homicide detectives launched an investigation into the man’s death.

A Stafford Heights man, 28, was arrested on Sunday and has since been charged with murder.

He is due to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on Monday.

Brace for impact: ‘Bomb cyclone’ to smash Australia’s east coast this week

A powerful low pressure system is forecast to intensify rapidly within 24 hours as it develops off the coast of NSW on Monday.

Starting Tuesday, up to 200mm of rain is expected to lash areas between Newcastle, Sydney, and the Illawarra over just 48 hours.

The growing system is being referred to as a potential ‘bomb cyclone,’ known for its explosive development from calm to chaos in a short time.

Click on the link below for the latest.

Pheobe Bishop to be laid to rest today

The teen allegedly murdered by her housemates will be farewelled by loved ones at a private funeral on Monday.

Family and friends will don bright colours when Pheobe Bishop is laid to rest in Bundaberg, six weeks after the 17-year-old disappeared.

Pheobe was last seen near Bundaberg Airport on May 15 after booking a trip to Western Australia to see her boyfriend, but she never checked in for her flight.

Police allege she was murdered by her housemates James Wood and Tanika Bromley and that her body was moved more than once from Good Night Scrub National Park, an hour’s drive from the airport.

Phone data led officers to focus their search on the park before her remains were found on June 6.

The family has requested a ‘media blackout’ of the funeral, which will be conducted by the’amazing women in Phee’s life.’

‘This is absolutely everybody’s worst nightmare, however, we promised to get Phee home and give her a send-off that Phee would approve of and that’s what will happen,’ Pheobe’s mum Kylie Johnson told the ABC.

‘I would tell people to hug their kids a little tighter, tell them you love them multiple times a day, watch that silly movie, dance to the song and capture every moment in your memories

A supplied image obtained on Wednesday, May 21, 2025, of Pheobe Bishop, 17, who has been missing for a week, sparking a police investigation into her "suspicious" disappearance. (AAP Image/Supplied by QLD Police) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY 14771209  14782187
Kylie Johnson 14747111  14796641  14815201
Help is on the way for struggling Aussies

Anthony Albanese‘s government is promising life will get easier on July 1 when new cost-of-living help is rolled out.

Minimum wage workers, new parents, tradie apprentices and families are set to be the big winners during the start of the next financial year.

Inflation has also moderated from recent three-decade highs but things like rent and insurance are still climbing at high levels, with $75 quarterly electricity rebates to expire at the end of 2025.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has flagged new help, starting tomorrow (Tuesday).

Man killed as burnout during late-night meet-up goes tragically wrong

A car has ploughed into three people, killing one, after burnout in the NSW Hunter Valley went horribly wrong.

Emergency services were called to a crash on a fire trail off Haul Road, Stockrington, near Kurri Kurri, just after 12am on Sunday.

Police were told a modified Ford Fairmont sedan was performing a burnout when it hit three people.

A 53-year-old man was among those hit by the car and suffered critical head injuries.

He died a short time later.

Two women were also injured in the incident, but left the scene before emergency services arrived.

A man, 22, has since been charged with a string of offences and will appear in Parramatt Local Court on Momday.

Man stabbed in the thigh after going to a park to ‘meet up with a girl’

A young man was rushed to hospital with multiple stab wounds after he was attacked by a group of 10 males in a suburban park where he had planned to meet up with a girl.

Emergency services were called to Auburn Street in Yagoona in Sydney’s south-west shortly after 8pm on Sunday night, following reports of an injured man with stab wounds.

Police were told that the man was assaulted by a group of males in a park on Nobbs Road before he fled across the train tracks to nearby Auburn Street.

The man, 21, was reportedly at the park to meet up with a girl when he was ambushed by the group.

He then reportedly knocked on doors begging for help before emergency services arrived.

The man was treated at the scene for stab wounds to his thigh and was taken to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition.

Police established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the incident, which is believed to be a targeted attack.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers.

Share or comment on this article:
Australia news LIVE: What you need to know about the ‘bomb cyclone’ about to strike Australia’s east coast – and the areas that need to brace for impact