Peter Bedford MP wrote to council leaders last week, opposing asylum seeker hotels.

TESS RUSHIN

TESS RUSHIN

Aug 27, 2025

Peter Bedford outside Parliament.

Photograph: Leicestershire Conservatives

CTA Image

This story was published by the Leicester Gazette: a local, independent newspaper about Leicestershire. 1,000 people have already joined our mailing list. Just use that button below to sign up for free.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime. Want to support our work? Click here for membership.


Subscribe for free

Mid Leicestershire MP Peter Bedford suggested councils should “take judicial action” should the government seek to use hotels in the area to house migrants.There are no asylum seeker hotels in the Mid Leicestershire constituency. The MP said he wanted to outline his “clear and unequivocal position” that he did not “under any circumstances support the use of asylum hotels”.

This summary was written by a human, as is the case with all our journalism. We avoid using generative AI in our newsroom. You can read our AI policy here.

A Leicestershire MP has made clear his position on asylum seeker hotels, saying they are a “significant concern” for many constituents. In a letter to the three council leaders in his Mid Leicestershire constituency, Peter Bedford suggested they “take judicial action” should the government seek to use hotels in the area to house migrants.

In the letter addressed to the political heads of Blaby District Council, Charnwood Borough Council and Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council, the MP said he wanted to outline his “clear and unequivocal position” that he did not “under any circumstances support the use of asylum hotels”.

His comments came after a district council in Epping Forest, Essex secured a High Court ruling temporarily blocking asylum seekers from being housed in a hotel in the area. The High Court judge ruled on Tuesday that the former Bell Hotel in Epping must stop housing asylum seekers by mid-September.

Bedford said in his letter that whilst he believed no hotels in the area were being used to house asylum seekers, the issue “remains a significant concern for many constituents”. He added that should the government seek to use hotels in the area he represents, the relevant local councils should take “similar judicial action”.

Far right ‘migrant hunters’ and the assault on refugee hotels

A small protest outside a hotel housing refugees and asylum seekers led us down a rabbit hole of far right ‘migrant hunters’ and YouTube ‘auditors’.

The MP posted the letter online, along with the comment: “This morning I have written to the leaders of the local authorities that make up the Mid Leicestershire parliamentary constituency. My position is crystal clear – I do not support the use of asylum hotels.

“As I have previously made clear, I do not accept that a single person crossing the English Channel in a small boat is a legitimate asylum claimant. The passage from one safe country to another is abuse of our hospitality and the international refugee framework on a grand scale.

“It is my duty to put the concerns and safety of the residents of my constituency first, and that is what I will always do”. 

Be part of the story

The full letter“I am writing to you in your capacity as the leaders of the three local authorities that make up the Mid-Leicestershire Constituency. Firstly, I want to outline my clear and unequivocal position: I do not under any circumstances support the use of asylum hotels.

“Whilst it is my understanding that no hotels within the Mid Leicestershire constituency are being used by government for such purposes; this remains a significant concern for many of my constituents. Indeed, at my recent summer surgery tour it was, by far, the number one concern articulated by residents.

“Following the recent legal application by Epping Forest District Council, on the use of The Bell Hotel in that area, I would ask that should the government seek to use any hotels within the Mid Leicestershire constituency you take similar judicial action. A group is currently being formed, “Lawyers for Borders”, which I am happy to connect your authority with should such action be required.

“This issue continues to be a real and significant concern to residents, particularly the community safety aspects of housing large numbers of men often from countries with less advanced views on women’s rights in our local communities”.

He signed off the letter thanking the leaders for their understanding and suggested if any of the leaders wanted to discuss the matter further with him, he was happy to do so.

What have the council leaders said about the MP’s letter?

In a comment to the local democracy reporting service (LDRS), Blaby District Council leader Ben Taylor said: “I thank the MP for Mid Leicestershire for his correspondence outlining his position and highlighting residents’ concerns. There are no asylum hotels in our area. If that situation was to change we would consider our position, prioritising the best interests of our district and communities.”

Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council leader Stuart Bray said: “There are no hotels in Hinckley and Bosworth currently being used for this purpose. There have been in the past – some years ago a hotel was used in Earl Shilton despite safety concerns being raised direct by Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council to government ministers. In common with other councils, we as the local council have no say in this.

“I would have major concerns about hotels in this area being used for this purpose due to the impact on public safety and community tension and would resist as strongly as possible. I understand yesterday’s judgement was on a planning technicality and therefore the applicability to other areas might be limited but, should the situation arise, I will be asking my officers to seek legal advice as to our options to prevent such uses.”

A spokesperson for Charnwood Borough Council said Miah was “not inclined to comment”.

CTA Image

If you enjoyed this article and want more great local journalism, here’s how to change that.

We publish investigations, news features and human interest stories that go beyond the headlines. Our journalism is fact-based and rigorous, and we prize good writing over clickbait and sensationalism.

Our readers get all our stories directly in their inbox every Monday morning via our free weekly newsletter. Use that button below to sign up for free.

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime. Want to support our work? Click here for membership.


Subscribe for free

At the Leicester Gazette, we believe in being open about our funding. Approximately 80 per cent of our revenue comes from grants. The other 20 per cent comes from memberships and other sources. We understand that many readers may question the integrity and independence of news organisations, and we completely get it. The media has a history of not being fully transparent about its funding sources. That’s why we are committed to doing things differently – because you deserve to know where our support comes from and how it shapes our journalism.


Learn more about how we’re funded