Last Updated:August 28, 2025, 08:29 IST

Peter Navarro has called the Russia-Ukraine conflict “Modi’s war”, and has suggested the US could waive tariffs on India if New Delhi halts crude purchases from Moscow.

font

White House trade counselor Peter Navarro (Photo: AP)

White House trade counselor Peter Navarro (Photo: AP)

White House Trade Adviser Peter Navarro, who earlier claimed that India was “perpetuating” the Ukraine War by purchasing discounted Russian crude oil, has now labelled the Russia-Ukraine war as “Modi’s war”.

Speaking during an interview with Bloomberg Television, Navarro also said that the United States could waive 25 per cent tariffs on India if New Delhi halts crude oil purchases from Russia.

“Everybody in America loses because of what India is doing. The consumers and businesses and everything lose, and workers lose because India’s high tariffs cost us jobs, and factories, and income and higher wages. And then the taxpayers lose because we got to fund Modi’s war,” Navarro said.”

As the anchor interrupts Navarro, asking him if he meant to say “Putin’s war”, Navarro said, “No, I mean Modi’s war, because the road to peace runs through New Delhi, I mean that’s a lot of money.”

On a question of whether there was a potential for a (trade) deal with India, and if there were talks ongoing to change the tariff numbers, Navarro said, “India could get 25 per cent off tomorrow if it stops buying Russian oil.”

Asked if India was sending that signal, Trump’s adviser said, “They’re not.”

He further hails Prime Minister Narendra Modi, but says he is puzzled.

“I’m puzzled, cause Modi is a great leader, and it (India) is a mature democracy with intelligent people running it,” he says.

“When India buys Russian oil at a discount, and then Indian refiners, in partnership with Russian refiners, make that sale at a premium to the rest of the world, Russia uses the money it gets to fund its war machine to kill more Ukrainians,” Navarro asserted.

“The next thing that happens is Ukraine comes to us and Europe, and says ‘give us some more money’,” he added.

The US’s 50 per cent tariffs on Indian goods came into effect on Wednesday, as the Donald Trump administration cited India’s continuing procurement of Russian crude oil.

A notification by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) stated that additional duties are being imposed to give effect to the President’s Executive Order 14329 of August 6, 2025, titled “Addressing Threats to the United States by the Government of the Russian Federation.”

The CBP said that the Secretary of Homeland Security has determined it necessary to modify the Harmonised Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) in line with the executive order.

The higher duties are applicable to all Indian products that are either entered for consumption in the US or withdrawn from warehouses for consumption.

ALSO READ | How PM Modi Is Standing Up To Trump And Absorbing Pressure

authorimg

Vani Mehrotra

Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.

Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.

News world ‘Modi’s War’: Trump Adviser Blames India’s Russian Oil Imports For Prolonging Ukraine Conflict
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More