Thousands of Coldplay fans – including dozens from Malta – are being forced to rework their travel plans after a London Underground strike prompted the band to reschedule its final two Wembley Stadium concerts next month.

Coldplay announced on Saturday they were forced to reschedule their final two concerts of their “Music of the Spheres” world tour due to planned industrial action on the London Underground.

Within hours, a number of Maltese ticket holders were trying to sell their tickets online either because they could not watch the concert on the alternative dates or to cut down their losses.

Speaking to Times of Malta, Jane, who was due to travel to London with three other friends for the concert originally scheduled on September 8, said she was devastated by the news.

“I’m literally in tears,” the Sliema resident said.

“At first, I thought it was fake news. I couldn’t believe it. But now I see that even ticket platform Viagogo have changed the dates.”

Coldplay's final two concerts of their world tour have now been rescheduled. Image: ColdplayColdplay’s final two concerts of their world tour have now been rescheduled. Image: Coldplay

The superband admitted that without an underground service it is impossible to get 82,000 people to the concert and home again safely, and that no event licence can be granted for the nights of September 7 and 8.

“To avoid cancelling the shows, our only option is to reschedule,” the band said.

The show originally scheduled for September 7 will now be held on September 6, while the September 8 show will now take place on September 12.

The band said that any ticket holders who are unable to attend their rescheduled show can get a full refund on their ticket, but need to contact their point of purchase before noon on September 2.

That is no consolation for many fans who are short of travel options.

“I had bought my ticket for this particular night, their final concert of the tour, a year ago,” Jane said, adding it had cost her £350. She had also booked all flights, accommodation, transfers and even pre-paid reservations at restaurants.

“I am now trying to rebook the flights, but they are full. The hotel is sold out and I have spent the past 20 minutes on hold to try and sort this out. When I first heard of the strikes last week, I had booked a private transfer from Heathrow airport to central London for £200 instead of the usual £80. I guess I’ve lost that too,” she added.

The band has apologised for the “inevitable disappointment, frustration and inconvenience that this situation causes.”

Rail, Maritime And Transport union members on the Tube are due to walk out in a dispute over pay and working conditions at different times from September 5 for seven days. London Underground has warned of severe disruption “with little to no service expected” from September 7 to September 11.