Courts News Ireland on Twitter

3 comments
  1. Serial child abuser Kevin Brazil (52), who was caught in a car with a 13-year-old victim days after he had received a suspended sentence for abusing another child, has been jailed for five and a half years.

  2. The court heard that on July 21, 2020 Brazil led gardaí on a high speed car chase through a residential area before stopping the car.

    When asked about the then 13-year-old boy in the car with him, Brazil told gardaí: “I knew the way this would look”.

    He told gardaí that four days previously he had received a suspended sentence for child sexual assault.

    Brazil had pleaded guilty to seven counts of sexually assaulting a 12-year-boy in Dublin city on a number of occasions between April and June 2002.

    During that sentencing, the court heard that in 2002 Brazil admitted to garda investigators that he had sexually abused the boy but no file was sent forward to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    The investigation was revived in 2016 when the victim again went to gardaí.

    Judge Elma Sheahan said that, had matters been properly prosecuted by the State, the accused would not be facing those charges at that remove.

    She said that were it not for “the unconscionable delay of the State”, a custodial sentence would be inevitable

    Brazil was subsequently sentenced in 2021 to 2.5-years imprisonment by Mr Justice Michael White at the Central Criminal Court after pleading guilty to the sexual assault of a 12 year old child on dates between May and August 2002 at a place in Dublin city.

    The court heard that in 2002, gardai at Rathmines Garda Station questioned Brazil and he made admissions.

    This case and the other case were investigated at that time but for some “inexplicable reason” no file was ever sent to the DPP, the court heard.

    In 2004, Brazil was sentenced on 16 counts of sexual assault of another boy between March 2000 and July 2002.

    He received a sentence of three years imprisonment with the final year suspended.

    Brazil now has 33 previous convictions, including a conviction for sexual assault in France dating back to the 1990’s.

    The victims in all matters were aged between nine and 14 years old.

    Today, Judge Sheahan re-activated two years of the three-year term she had previously suspended in July 2020 and imposed a consecutive term of three and a half years for the latest offending

    She ordered that this 5.5-year term be consecutive to the term imposed at the Central Criminal Court that Brazil is currently serving, which is due to expire on November 24, next.

Leave a Reply