Standard Liege and Royal Antwerp players were left stunned when their Jupiler Pro League match was abandoned by the referee with just minutes left to play. All 22 players had to leave the pitch in the 88th minute after a cup was thrown at the referee.
Clips show the official on the touchline dealing with a situation, when a plastic cup comes from the stand and hits him in the upper back. The official immediately looks to the stand, blows his whistle and points towards the dressing room.
As he makes his way across the pitch, he is followed by confused and surprised players from both teams. Some Standard players are then seen looking into the stands, clearly unhappy with the incident.
READ MORE: Virgil van Dijk hits nail on head as Liverpool star refutes Man Utd commentREAD MORE: Marc Guehi next transfer plan confirmed as Liverpool on red alert amid Crystal Palace talks
Shortly after the abandonment, Standard confirmed the situation in a statement on their official website. They confirmed the game will be finished behind closed doors.
“The Standard – Antwerp match interrupted this Friday evening at the 87th minute will be resumed behind closed doors next Monday or Tuesday for the last minutes of play including extra time, in accordance with the new provisions of the federal regulation,” they said.
“The supporter who tossed the cup on the referee has been identified and the club will initiate a civil stadium ban procedure against him, as well as an action for compensation.”
At the time, Standard Liege were winning the match 1-0, thanks to Rafiki Said’s goal after just 16 seconds. They were, however, down to 10 men with Adnane Abid being shown a straight red card in the 39th minute after a VAR review.
Both Standard Liege and Antwerp have had poor starts to the season. Both have 11 points from their opening 10 games, with Standard only above their rivals, and out of the relegation play-off spots, on goal difference.
Huge Premier League kit & merch sale

Fanatics has slashed the price of football kits and merch from Premier League clubs including Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Spurs and more.
Championship side Blackburn Rovers recently had their game abandoned but, unlike the decision in Belgium, will have to replay it. Their Championship home game against Ipswich Town was abandoned in the 80th minute last month due to a waterlogged pitch.
At the time Blackburn were leading 1-0 with Ipswich also down to 10 men. However, the EFL ruled that the game will be replayed in full with the new date set for Tuesday, 2 December.
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.
If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £192 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.
Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.

