Prince Andrew‘s downfall was a long time coming. The former Duke of York brought disgrace upon the royal family, and his punishment was minimal until Prince William stepped into the picture.

Still, there are far-reaching consequences beyond Prince Andrew because it extends to his daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie. While their title of princess is safe because it is their birthright, the emotional toll is a far different situation. The Telegraph is reporting that the palace will not punish Beatrice and Eugenie because they obviously played no part in their father’s downfall.

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew, Duke of York attend day four of Royal Ascot at Ascot Racecourse on June 21, 2019 in Ascot, England.

Related story

Sarah Ferguson Has One Clear Stance After Prince Andrew’s Royal Title Bombshell

A source told the U.K. publication that King Charles wants to make sure that the women are “protected” from Andrew and Sarah Ferguson’s issue because he has such “high affection” for them. Still, Beatrice and Eugenie are “utterly mortified” by their parents’ behavior.

Prince Andrew

Prince Andrew

Steve Parsons – WPA Pool/Getty Images

“Eugenie has a harder edge to her, but they really are a credit to the Royal family. They haven’t done anything to deserve what has happened. It’s all of their parents’ making,” the royal insider shared.

Beatrice is reportedly more affected by the fallout because she was the one who originally told Andrew not to do the 2019 Newsnight interview that was the catalyst for his downfall. She was devastated by the entire episode,” the source added. “She knew it would end badly.”

In April 2024, Newsnight producer Sam McAlister told SheKnows that Prince Andrew was downright smug when it came to the infamous interview — he felt untouchable in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal. She described him as “very overconfident” about his “own capabilities,” and believed Andrew thought he could talk his way out of the Epstein controversy because he knew how to “work a room.”

The crisis has also shut the door on Beatrice’s desire to be a working royal — the palace can’t afford another controversy at this point.

“Beatrice does want to be a working Royal, and she wants to do Royal events to help her uncle because she’d enjoy them and she would be good at the job,” a royal insider shared with the Daily Mail earlier this month. “Charles apparently appreciates this . . . There had at one stage been a feeling that Bea could have been lined up one day. She’s never put a foot wrong, don’t forget – and she shouldn’t be punished for the sins of her father. But the King’s courtiers are concerned Andrew could try to ‘get in via the back door’ by exerting influence over her.”

Now, that door is shut as William is the one taking charge in this situation. He pulled the plug on Prince Andrew for good.

More on Prince Andrew’s downfall: