STOCKTON, Calif. — Four people are dead and several people were injured in a mass shooting at a California child’s birthday party, officials said Saturday night.

The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office says the shooting happened around 6 p.m. inside a strip mall shopping center in Stockton, California.

The city of Stockton’s vice mayor, Jason Lee, posted on Facebook saying the shooting happened during a child’s birthday party.

Deputies said that “approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased.”

San Joaquin County District Attorney Ron Freitas and Mayor of Stockton Christina Fugazi have both indicated that children are among the victims who died. That information has not yet been confirmed by the sheriff’s office.

Heather Brent, a spokesperson for the San Joaquin County sheriff’s office, said the gunshot victims included both children and adults.

Early indications “suggest this may have been a targeted incident,” Brent said during a news conference at the scene.

Detectives were still working to identify a possible motive.

Authorities did not immediately provide additional information about the conditions of the victims. Officials said earlier that several were taken to hospitals.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Stay with us for the latest details on this developing story.

Deputies confirm the 14 victims of the shooting include children and adults, while the DA and mayor have indicated children are among the dead.

Copyright © 2025 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.