People were urged on Wednesday to avoid working close to the coast or sea as parts of Malta woke up picking up the pieces left by Storm Harry.
The storm battered the island for over 24 hours between Monday and Tuesday, diverting and cancelling flights and ferry trips, tearing down dozens of trees and wrecking shop fronts.
Pre-empting the strong winds, the authorities had on Monday urged people to stay indoors as much as possible, halt all outdoor work and even excused children from school.
RELATED STORIES
When the winds abated late on Tuesday, the skies opened the floodgates, with thunder and heavy rainfall impacting all of Malta.
With the worst of the storm over by Wednesday morning, the Occupational Health and Safety Authority said outdoor work can now resume; however, work close to the coast or the sea “remains dangerous and must be avoided”.
Among the services still impacted by inclement weather on Wednesday, the Gozo Channel also announced that ferry operations had been suspended.
Earlier, the government issued a press release to announce that the ferry service had resumed with a trip at 8.10am.
But commuters told Times of Malta that the trip struggled to dock at Ċirkewwa. When the Ta’ Pinu MVfinally docked at Ċirkewwa’s South Quay, people started alighting the vessel just before 9.30am.
One commuter who started queueing at 6.12am at Għajnsielem said commuters on the Mġarr side were asked to turn back at around 9.50am.
Fishermen and farmers were also among those counting their losses on Wednesday.
PL MEP Alex Agius Saliba has meanwhile turned to Brussels, urging the European Commission to support the Maltese just as it has done with other European citizens faced by such natural disasters.