Another possible government shutdown looms after Minneapolis shootingpublished at 15:58 GMT
15:58 GMT
Bernd Debusmann Jr
Reporting from Washington DC
Today’s cabinet meeting comes as the threat of another US government shutdown looms, with lawmakers reportedly engaging in negotiations about Trump’s immigration enforcement action.
US media report that the White House and Senate Democratic leadership are nearing an agreement which would meet Democratic demands to introduce new restrictions on federal immigration agents.
If no deal is struck, the second shutdown within months will begin at one minute after midnight on Friday, 30 January.
The spending bill has already passed in the House of Representatives, but needs 60 Senate votes to advance.
Among the changes Democrats are seeking are requirements that federal agents obtain warrants before making arrests and clearer rules governing how they identify themselves, according to US media reports.
There are only 53 Republican senators in the 100-member body, meaning that passing the bill will require at least some support from Democratic members.
Earlier this week, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said: “I will vote no on any legislation that funds ICE until it is reined in and overhauled, and Senate Democrats are overwhelmingly united on this issue.”
Republican Senate Majority Leader John Thune has said that “productive” negotiations are ongoing.
If changes are made, the bill will need to be re-approved by the House, which is currently on recess.
On Wednesday, some Senate Democrats escalated their demands, expressly calling for DHS Secretary Kristi Noem’s removal, and structural changes to both Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and US Border Patrol.
“This madness,” Schumer said, “this terror must stop.”