Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Thursday called the Trump administration’s dead-of-night raid in Caracas and abduction of former President Nicolás Maduro earlier this month “the most sophisticated, powerful raid” in “world history.”
The Cabinet meeting was unusual among those that have occurred during President Donald Trump’s second term, which have often featured lengthy rants from Trump and orderly displays of fealty toward him by his assembled secretaries. On Thursday, Trump’s remarks lasted only about 30 minutes and, uncharacteristically, he did not take questions from reporters.
In addition to boasting about the raid against Venezuela, Hegseth used his time during the meeting to warn Iran against pursuing nuclear capabilities and that the U.S. military will be “prepared to deliver whatever the president expects.” His comments came after an aircraft carrier and warships arrived in the Middle East this week.
READ MORE: Trump defends ‘big boy’ Bill Clinton in shock Epstein files U-turnREAD MORE: Pete Hegseth threatened with losing huge privilege during double tap investigation
Social media users were quick to mock Hegseth’s comments about the Venezuela operation, with many describing events such as George Washington’s crossing of the Delaware River, D-Day and the SEAL Team Six raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound as superior U.S. military operations.
“His hyperbole is unserious as was his appointment to the position that he is unqualified to hold,” one X user wrote in response to a video clip of Hegseth’s statement.
“Who cares whether it was legal or moral… it was really sophisticated,” another wrote.
“God these people are such clowns,” a third said.
The Trump administration’s attack on the Venezuelan capital reportedly resulted in the deaths of dozens of Venezuelan military personnel, 32 Cuban military officials and two civilians. Approximately 112 Venezuelans and seven U.S. soldiers were injured.
He and his allies have since publicly toyed with the idea of pursuing further military action in other countries around the globe, and of “running” Venezuela as they use the country’s governmental transition period to enrich American oil companies. Trump has insisted that “we’re in charge” and that “we’re going to run it, fix it,” referring to the governance of Venezuela, though Secretary of State Marco Rubio has issued conflicting reports.
Rubio said that the U.S. has no intention of assuming day-to-day governance of Venezuela and that it will allow Maduro’s subordinates to remain in leadership positions. The seeming uncertainty of next steps contrasted with the years of discussions and planning that went into other U.S. military interventions.
He told reporters on Air Force One earlier this month he wanted interim President Delcy Rodríguez to provide “total access” to aspects of the country, large and small — from major oil operations to basic infrastructure. “We need access to the oil and to other things in their country that allow us to rebuild their country,” Trump said.
But the discrepancy between what Trump and Rubio have said publicly has not sat well with some former diplomats.
“It strikes me that we have no idea whatsoever as to what’s next,” Dan Fried, a retired career diplomat, former assistant secretary of state and sanctions coordinator who served under both Democratic and Republican administrations, told The Associated Press.
“For good operational reasons, there were very few people who knew about the raid, but Trump’s remarks about running the country and Rubio’s uncomfortable walk back suggests that even within that small group of people, there is disagreement about how to proceed.”


