Two senior Liberals responsible for migration policy say they had no input into a leaked proposal to ban people coming to Australia from terror-declared areas.
Senator Jonno Duniam and Senator Paul Scarr, who held the home affairs and immigration portfolios respectively under former Liberal leader Sussan Ley, have denied contributing a plan, reported by some media, to bar entry to people from parts of Gaza, Somalia and the Philippines.
The ABC understands this component of a draft policy proposal was produced within Ms Ley’s office and not formally signed off by shadow cabinet prior to the spill that led to Angus Taylor becoming Liberal leader.
However, parts of the proposal were run by the relevant shadow ministers.
Radical immigration policy banning countries being considered by Liberals
Senator Duniam said the Coalition working group of shadow ministers developing an opposition immigration policy last met prior to the Bondi terror attack in December and had not gathered since.
“What seems to have appeared in the public domain are policy ideas that I haven’t seen, commented on or contributed to,” he said.
“They haven’t been to (Liberal) leadership, shadow cabinet or our party room for any discussion.
“So, frankly, these were not part of any policy work I was a part of or that was progressing through our process.”
Senator Scarr also released a statement relating to reports it was a Liberal Party proposal to ban migration from certain declared regions.
“I never proposed any such policy,” he said.
“I never agreed to any such policy.
“I have a range of serious concerns with respect to any such policy.”
The proposal to make the Australian values statement a part of visa compliance, which was revealed by the ABC, was taken through the Liberals’ immigration policy working group process.
Proposal threatens deportation for breach of values statement
Under the leaked proposal, migrants who breach an Australian values statement would face deportation.
A copy of the draft policy seen by the ABC outlines plans to “elevate” the current non-binding Australian values component for all temporary and permanent visa applicants, making compliance with the statement a condition of being able to stay in Australia.
The values statement, which is signed by all temporary and provisional visa applicants, is designed to signify understanding of core principles in Australian society like freedom of speech, religion and association.
In signing it the visa holder is also supposed to be noting understanding of Australians’ “commitment to the rule of law” and “respect for the freedom and dignity of the individual”.
Angus Taylor says he will unite the Liberal Party, but a deeper rift is forming between those who want to overhaul the party’s direction and those who believe doing so would mean political death.
Respecting Australia’s parliamentary democracy, equality of opportunity for all people “regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, race or national or ethnic origin” is also in the statement.
As is an explanation of the concept of a “fair go” for all which embraces “mutual respect, tolerance” and “compassion for those in need”.
The values statement also required permanent visa applicants to commit to making “reasonable efforts” to learn English if it was not their native language.
The leaked draft of the Coalition’s immigration policy pledged to “elevate the importance” of the Australian values statement.
“Making compliance with the [values statement] a visa condition will better reflect the expectation of the Australian people that visa holders conduct themselves in accordance with Australian values during their stay,” the draft policy said.
“Conduct constituting a breach of visa conditions may result in visa cancellation and persons found in breach of those conditions may be required to leave Australia.”
Policy was set to be released this week
Ms Ley, who lost the Liberal leadership to Angus Taylor last Friday, had been preparing to release the Coalition’s comprehensive migration plan this week.
But her ousting has resulted in the policy being put on ice for further review by Mr Taylor and his yet-to-be-announced shadow ministry.
During his first few days as leader Mr Taylor has signalled migration will be a major focus of his policy platform.
On Monday Mr Taylor said he did not want migrants who did not accept the “most basic beliefs that have made this country successful”.
Angus Taylor has signalled migration will be a major focus under his leadership. (ABC News: David Sciasci)
“We believe that you need to obey the law,” he told Channel Seven’s Sunrise.
“We believe in basic freedoms of speech and religion, and if people don’t accept those things they shouldn’t come to our country.
“The door should be shut.”
It is understood the Coalition’s policy would also have aimed to reduce net overseas migration (NOM) to 170,000 people a year.
The NOM has dropped from 429,000 in 2023-24 to about 306,000 for 2024-25, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics December data.
Labor has an annual NOM target of 225,000 people over the next three years.
The ABC also revealed Mr Taylor was actively discussing a controversial approach to immigration inspired by a recent UK Labour policy.
Senior sources have told Four Corners the Liberals are considering implementing a policy where, if a country refused to take back citizens rejected by Australia, then Australia would blacklist that country — or potentially a zone within it — and ban its citizens from getting a visa.