Bristol music legend Robert Del Naja was one of hundreds of people arrested in Trafalgar Square in London today, Saturday, April 11, for showing their support for proscribed protest group Palestine Action.
The Massive Attack frontman, also known as 3D, was arrested by the Metropolitan Police on suspicion of showing support for a proscribed organisation as part of a mass protest against the ban on Palestine Action.
The 61-year-old sat among hundreds of fellow demonstrators in Trafalgar Square on Saturday afternoon with a sign that read “I Oppose Genocide, I Support Palestine Action”. He was later approached by police officers who told him he was being put under arrest, before carrying him away from the demonstration as other protesters cheered and applauded.
In the footage, a woman can be heard saying “You are amazing!” and another “We love you!” as Del Naja lies down on his back before three officers lift him up by his legs and armpits. As he is being carried away, a man can be heard asking Del Naja: “Can you tell us why you’re being arrested today?” The musician appears to reply: “I’m being unlawfully arrested.”
Prior to his arrest, Del Naja told the Press Association he wanted to attend the protest despite the consequences a potential arrest could have on his music career. “Being a musician, obviously, there was a lot of trepidation around how we might not be able to travel and get visas,” he said.
“But I thought ‘this is ridiculous’ and then the police making that U-turn to arrest people again, I thought that is even more ridiculous. So I’m going to hold a sign today.
“If I get arrested, I feel very confident that if I stand up in court with the right guidance and say ‘this was an unlawful arrest and, therefore, I don’t accept it’.”
He added: “I think that the actions of Palestine Action were highly patriotic because they were pretty much protecting our country from getting involved in serious war crimes, and breaking international law. How much more patriotic can you be than that?”
Massive Attack have been staunch opponents of Israel’s military action against Gaza and the West Bank, and recently announced they were taking their music off Spotify, as well as launching a syndicate with Irish rappers Kneecap to support musicians who were speaking out against what is happening in Palestine.
Massive Attack are due to begin a summer tour in Europe from May 26 until June 8, starting in Helsinki, Finland, then performing in Rattvik, Sweden; Copenhagen in Denmark; Berlin in Germany; and Brussels in Belgium.
READ MORE: Massive Attack to take all songs off SpotifyREAD MORE: Massive Attack and Kneecap set up ‘syndicate’ to support artists over Palestine
The band was formed in 1988 as The Wild Bunch evolved, with Del Naja alongside Grant “Daddy G” Marshall, Adrian “Tricky” Thaws and Andrew “Mushroom” Vowles, and Del Naja and Daddy G are still performing sell out shows across the UK and Europe every year.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed their officers have so far arrested 212 people at the Trafalgar Square demonstration – all on suspicion of showing support for a proscribed organisation. The ages of those arrested range from 27 to 82, the force said.

