DUBUQUE, Iowa (KCRG) – The Archbishop of Dubuque said he is “disheartened” by the “disparaging language” President Trump is using about the Pope.
Trump is refusing to apologize for his posts online and is trying to explain away a social media post showing himself as Jesus.
Trump lashed out at Pope Leo XIV online over the weekend, criticizing the Pope’s opposition to the war in Iran and calling him “weak on crime.” Pope Leo and the Vatican had been calling for peace and reconciliation. The Pope has said he does not fear the Trump Administration.
An artificial intelligence-generated image posted by the President Sunday night showing Trump as Jesus has since been deleted. The President claimed he thought it showed him as a doctor with the Red Cross.
“I share the sentiments expressed yesterday by the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Like Archbishop Coakley, I am disheartened that the president chose to use disparaging language about Pope Leo XIV.
The Holy Father made clear this morning, during an international flight, that he is not a politician and has no desire to engage in a debate with President Trump. Pope Leo acknowledged that he and the Church are called to proclaim the Gospel message and to build bridges that foster peace and reconciliation.
I ask Catholics of the archdiocese, fellow Christians, those of other faith traditions, and all people of goodwill to pray for peace and reconciliation, and to be instruments of that peace in our communities.”
Copyright 2026 KCRG. All rights reserved.