More than 600 people crossed the Channel on small boats yesterday, making it the second busiest day for crossings so far this year.

Home Office figures show 602 people arrived in Dover on nine boats, bringing the total number of arrivals so far in 2026 to more than 6,000.

In the last seven days, 941 people have arrived on a total of 14 boats. Picture: Gareth Fuller / PA MediaIn the last seven days, 941 people have arrived on a total of 14 boats. Picture: Gareth Fuller / PA Media

In the past seven days, 941 people have arrived on a total of 14 boats.

Earlier this month, four people died in an attempted crossing off the coast of Boulogne.

In a statement, a Home Office spokesperson said the government is “bearing down” on small boat crossings.

Last month, the UK and France failed to agree on a new beach patrol deal aimed at reducing the number of departures.

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood signed a £2 million-a-week extension to the current arrangement as the two governments thrash out a longer-term agreement.

Migrant charities repeated calls for the government to provide safe and legal ways for those seeking asylum to arrive in the UK to prevent more deaths, while the Conservatives accused Labour of being “weak” over tackling crossings.

Previously, Care4Calais said the tragedies continue as the government is focused on “ineffective deterrents”, adding: “They could end the deaths on our border overnight by introducing safe routes for refugees to claim asylum in the UK.”

A picture off the coast of France after four migrants drowned in the English Channel earlier this month. Picture: Gareth Fuller/PAA picture off the coast of France after four migrants drowned in the English Channel earlier this month. Picture: Gareth Fuller/PA

A Home Office spokesperson said: “We have stopped over 42,000 illegal migrants attempting to cross the channel since the election. We have removed or deported almost 60,000 people who were here illegally.

“But we are going further to remove the incentives that draw illegal migrants to this country and increase removals and deportations of those with no right to be here.”

The Home Secretary laid new measures in Parliament on March 5, which will remove support payments and accommodation for asylum seekers who illegally work, have the ability to support themselves, have the right to work, or have broken the law.

Refugee status will now become temporary and subject to review every 30 months for all adults claiming asylum.

The Refugee Council said policing the Channel alone was “not enough to prevent dangerous crossings” and the UK needed to work with Europe to “share responsibility” over the crisis.