Australian travellers say they have been dumped by a travel agency just days and weeks before their overseas holidays, after their trips were suddenly cancelled.

Melbourne-based AVG Travels, which sells heavily discounted package holidays to destinations around the world, emailed more than 200 customers last week advising them their itineraries were “under review” due to “operational scheduling adjustments”.

The ABC understands more than a dozen tour packages have been affected, many to China.

A traditional Chinese building beside a lake and trees in red autumn colours.

Many of the affected tour packages were to China, the ABC understands. (www.avgtravels.com)

It comes as the Council of Australian Tour Operators (CATO) announced it had suspended AVG Travels’ membership following the cancellations, with travellers also reporting the matter to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

“On becoming aware of complaints against AVG Travels this week, we moved quickly to review their accreditation status. That review has resulted in the immediate suspension of AVG Travels’ CATO accreditation,” CATO general manager Mira Yates said.

The company’s membership with the sector’s peak body, the Australian Travel Industry Association (ATIA), was cancelled in August 2022 for failing to meet required “financial and ethical standards”.

In a statement, AVG Travels said it was “engaging with all affected travellers to provide fair and appropriate resolutions”. 

It said it remained “fully operational” and “some customers may receive their final travel documents … later than usual”.

Elizabeth and John Jennings  on holiday

Elizabeth and John Jennings are seasoned travellers and were due to fly to China this week with AVG Travels. (Supplied)

Elizabeth Jennings, from Melbourne, said she and her husband had booked an 11-day China tour due to depart today, and spent weeks unsuccessfully trying to obtain tickets and a final itinerary.

“We were given the brush-off every time,” Ms Jennings said.

“Then we were told the trip had been cancelled a few days ago and we could either travel in August or September, or take a credit voucher.

“I said no three times. I just want my money back.”

Ms Jennings said she and her husband were “seasoned travellers” and had never experienced anything like it.

“It’s a real balls up … you know, some people have anxiety really bad, and I reckon it would ruin them,” she said.

A woman and a young girl on bicycles on a paved riverside space, colourful flags fluttering behind them.

Sam Chisolm and her daughter Chelsey failed to receive their flight tickets to China.  (Supplied)

Perth resident Sam Chisolm said what should have been an exciting overseas holiday with her daughter Chelsey in just over a week, turned into weeks of stress and uncertainty after they failed to receive their flight tickets.

The pair paid $2,736, including optional tours for an 11-day China tour, departing from Perth on May 27.

“We are very interested in architecture and landscapes and were looking forward to learning about and experiencing a different culture as well,” Ms Chisholm said.

She said she had not received any documents, despite booking information stating e-tickets and hotel details were provided around 30 days before departure, and airline tickets issued four to six weeks prior to travel.

A large advertising sign saying "Travel more, spend less" and the AVG Travel logo.

The company describes itself as “proudly Australian-owned” and says it has taken more than 200,000 travellers around the world. (www.avgtravels.com)

Last week, she received a mass email from the CEO, offering to reschedule her trip, or a refund.

“They have offered and promised it, although nothing yet has been received,” she said.

The pair have since independently booked another overseas holiday to China, spending another $3,500 while waiting for their refund from AVG Travels.

“This experience has crushed our faith in handing over money to others up-front for this kind of thing,” Ms Chisolm said.

She said she had reported the matter to the ACCC.

Email exposes traveller’s details

In an email sent to hundreds of travellers, company CEO David Dao wrote that “many customers are concerned while waiting for travel updates and final flight confirmations for upcoming departures”.

“We sincerely apologise for the uncertainty this has caused,” the email said.

“Due to ongoing operational disruptions during this current peak travel period, some bookings are taking longer to finalise.”

The message, which also exposed the email addresses of hundreds of recipients, was followed by a second email apologising for an “administrative error”, in which customer addresses were “unintentionally visible to other recipients”.

Tourism agent may have taken customers’ money while insolvent

Australians who say they have been left stranded overseas and broke after their travel agency collapsed have now been told the company was likely trading while insolvent.

A Facebook support group has been formed with more than 230 members, sharing stories of their cancelled departures, missing flight tickets and unanswered calls and emails.

However, there is also support for the company with accounts of positive experiences.

Gill Shipley said she had travelled to China with AVG Travels in March.

“It was wonderful, jam packed with history, UNESCO site and bullet trains,” Ms Shipley wrote. 

“Communication with them was never a problem.”

The company describes itself as “proudly Australian-owned” and said it had taken more than 200,000 travellers around the world.

The company’s website said it began as an online travel agency in Vietnam in 2012, before establishing an office in Melbourne in 2015, and opened offices in Japan and the United Kingdom last year.

In a statement, AVG Travels said they took “customer concern seriously”.

“While current industry-wide and operational pressures have necessitated some itinerary adjustments, our team is proactively engaging with all affected travellers to provide fair and appropriate resolutions,” it stated

“We are maintaining close collaboration with our global network of partners to ensure the continuity of our services.

“Our focus is on resolving all pending matters swiftly and restoring the high standard of service our customers expect.”

Loading…