Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel says that U.S. military action on the island would spark “a bloodbath with incalculable consequences.”In a social media post on Monday, he reiterated that Cuba poses no threat to the United States but maintains the right to defend itself.Relations between the two nations are at one of the lowest points in decades.The Trump administration announced yet more sanctions on Cuba on Monday.This time it’s targeting intelligence and security agencies, as well as a number of officials.But it’s the Cuban people ultimately paying the price, as the continued U.S. blockade further isolates the country, and exacerbates an already dire economic and energy crisis there. Breaking pointFor decades, Venezuela had been Havana’s biggest oil supplier.Then overnight, its president, Nicolas Maduro, was out of power. Under U.S. pressure, Caracas pulled the plug on its closest ally, which already had a troubled economy. Once the Trump administration threatened tariffs on countries that send oil to the communist-run government, no one dared to come to its rescue.The impact on this island nation of 10 million people has been devastating.Blackouts stretching past 20 hours a day became the new normal in many areas.And while at first there were endless lines at gas stations, they eventually cleared because there’s no longer any gas.Food prices spiked and shortages soon followed. It’s the closest that Washington and Havana have come to outright confrontation since the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.
HAVANA, Havana —
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel says that U.S. military action on the island would spark, “a bloodbath with incalculable consequences” for his country.
In a social media post on Monday, he reiterated that Cuba poses no threat to the United States but maintains the right to defend itself.
Relations between the two nations are at one of the lowest points in decades.
The Trump administration announced yet more sanctions on Cuba on Monday.
This time it’s targeting intelligence and security agencies, as well as a number of officials.
But it’s the Cuban people ultimately paying the price, as the continued U.S. blockade further isolates the country, and exacerbates an already dire economic and energy crisis there.
Breaking point
For decades, Venezuela had been Havana’s biggest oil supplier.
Then overnight, its president, Nicolas Maduro, was out of power.
Under U.S. pressure, Caracas pulled the plug on its closest ally, which already had a troubled economy.
Once the Trump administration threatened tariffs on countries that send oil to the communist-run government, no one dared to come to its rescue.
The impact on this island nation of 10 million people has been devastating.
Blackouts stretching past 20 hours a day became the new normal in many areas.
And while at first there were endless lines at gas stations, they eventually cleared because there’s no longer any gas.
Food prices spiked and shortages soon followed.
It’s the closest that Washington and Havana have come to outright confrontation since the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.