An MP has confirmed that plans to house up to 83 migrants in new build homes in his constituency have been scrapped.

Mark Pritchard and people living in Stoke Heath had argued it was inappropriate to accommodate them in the Shropshire village.

At the start of the month, the Home Office agreed new build homes “should never house asylum seekers”.

Pritchard said on Friday he had received a call from the minister responsible for asylum seekers to say the plan had been dropped.

The MP said it was “a victory for common sense, the local community and hard parliamentary representation”.

The plans for Stoke Heath had been met with strong opposition from residents, who said the site was “wholly unsuitable”.

Serco, which is contracted by the government to house asylum seekers, said it had acquired the homes while working under the direction of the Home Office.

But in a statement, the Home Office said home secretary Shabana Mahmood had introduced “robust processes to ensure new build sites like Stoke Heath can never be considered again”.

It said the Stoke Heath development had been identified before the new guidance was brought in.

The Home Office has been approached by the BBC for comment.

Follow BBC Shropshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.

More on this storyRelated internet links