PARIS, July 17 (Reuters) – At least two people have died as violent thunderstorms ‌hit France overnight following a ‌prolonged heatwave, and 53,000 households were left without power ​on Friday, French media and local grid operator Enedis said.

• In Saint-Victurnien, in the ,central Haute-Vienne department, a woman died after a ‌tree fell on ⁠her on Thursday evening, and in Dolomieu to the east a man ⁠was found burned to death late on Thursday in a workshop that caught ​fire after ​being struck by ​lightning, AFP reported on ‌Friday.

• Grid operator Enedis said on Friday that 53,000 households were left without power, with cuts affecting mainly the Auvergne Rhone-Alpes area in the Southeast and the ‌Nouvelle Aquitaine in the ​Southwest.

• Weather service Météo-France on Friday ​lifted the ​orange alert for thunderstorms in ‌all the departments of ​Southeastern France ​that were previously affected, having earlier warned of large hailstones and gusts of ​wind from ‌the Massif Central to the Alps.

(Reporting ​by Dominique Vidalon; Editing by Sharon ​Singleton and Andrei Khalip)