HOL Logo
Sunday July 19, 2026

Libyan security forces arrest Somali suspect in migrant kidnapping cell

Tripoli, Libya (HOL) — Libyan security forces have arrested a Somali national accused of belonging to a criminal gang that kidnapped migrants and held them for ransom in Tajoura, officials said.

Security forces said they dismantled a violent criminal cell operating in the area and rescued two foreign nationals who had been held captive and subjected to severe abuse.

Officials did not disclose the nationalities of the rescued victims.

The Security Directorates Support Unit said officers acted on intelligence about a foreign gang targeting migrants and launched an investigation and surveillance operation through the Fifth Brigade.

The operation led to the arrest of one suspect, identified as a Somali national, and the immediate release of the two captives.

Authorities said the perpetrators filmed acts of torture against the captives and sent the footage to relatives to pressure them into paying.

The rescued victims were taken for medical treatment after the raid.

Security officials said efforts are continuing to arrest the remaining members of the gang.

Reports indicate that some suspects fled to coastal cities in an attempt to leave Libya through illegal maritime routes.

The arrested suspect remains in custody and is being interrogated.

Officials said legal procedures are underway and the suspect will be referred to the Public Prosecutor’s Office as the investigation continues.