An Israeli drone strike has killed one person and injured 11 others in southern Lebanon as Lebanese and Israeli officials held a second day of negotiations in Rome.
The strike hit the roof of a prayer hall at a cemetery in the town of Tebnine in the Bint Jbeil district, killing one person and wounding 11 others.
Another Israeli drone strike in the area reportedly started fires in wooded areas and triggered an explosion.
The latest attacks came as negotiations between Lebanon and Israel continued in the Italian capital, adding fresh tension to a US-backed effort aimed at reducing hostilities.
Separately, around 15 civilian families still living in the southern Lebanese village of Mansouri left the area after Israel issued an evacuation warning earlier on Wednesday.
The warning was the first of its kind in nearly six weeks. Israel said its military had begun what it described as “precise strikes” in southern Lebanon in response to alleged violations of a ceasefire by Hezbollah.
The Israeli announcement followed the detonation of an explosive device near Israeli forces in the Majdal Zoun area.
Israeli media reported that the blast caused casualties among Israeli troops and that four seriously wounded soldiers were evacuated by military helicopter to Rambam Hospital. The Israeli military had not immediately provided an official casualty figure.
The renewed violence comes despite a US-brokered framework agreement signed by Beirut and Tel Aviv on June 26. The agreement calls for a phased Israeli withdrawal from occupied Lebanese territory in exchange for the deployment of the Lebanese army and the disarmament of armed groups, in an apparent reference to Hezbollah.
Wednesday’s meeting in Rome was the second day of the second round of negotiations. Five earlier rounds had been held in Washington as part of the US-sponsored diplomatic process.
Lebanon’s Health Ministry says Israel’s military campaign in the country since March 2 has killed 4,333 people and injured 12,250 others.
Israel continues to hold parts of southern Lebanon, including territory seized in earlier conflicts and areas captured during the 2023-2024 war. Its forces have also advanced more than 10 kilometers into Lebanese territory during the current offensive.
The latest strike underscores the difficult path facing negotiators as Lebanon and Israel attempt to turn the ceasefire framework into a lasting reduction in violence.