Evacuation orders expand for Big Sur as Timber Fire grows to 1,723 acres
The Timber Fire has grown to 1,723 acres in Monterey County and remains 5% contained Monday, as evacuation orders and warnings remain in effect for areas of Big Sur.
CAL FIRE reported the fire at 1,723 acres and 5% containment in an incident update issued at 12:26 p.m. Monday. The fire had been reported at 400 acres and 5% containment Sunday night.
In an incident update provided Monday night, fire officials said crews continued working to build containment lines along the Highway 1 corridor as the Timber Fire burned at a slow rate of spread through grass, brush and oak woodland.
Officials said the fire had not moved into the treetops. Ground crews were working to access difficult terrain while aircraft dropped water and retardant on active areas.
Crews were focused on protecting nearby homes and preventing the fire from crossing Highway 1. Officials urged residents and drivers to watch for increased emergency vehicle traffic and avoid active firefighting areas.
Evacuation orders and warnings
The Monterey County Sheriff’s Office issued an immediate evacuation order at 11 p.m. Sunday for zones MRY-F025, MRY-F026, MRY-F027 and part of MRY-F028. The evacuation order includes the Ventana Inn.
“LEAVE NOW!” the sheriff’s office said in announcing the orders.
Evacuation warnings remain in effect for zone MRY-F023, MRY-F024 and part of MRY-F028.
An evacuation order means people should leave the affected area because of an immediate threat to life and property. Officials are urging residents in evacuation order zones to take their families, pets and emergency supply kits and to consider bringing essential documents and records.
People in evacuation warning zones should prepare to leave in case an evacuation order follows. Officials recommend packing a go-bag, gathering essential items and making arrangements for pets and large animals. People who need additional time or assistance to evacuate should also prepare now.
Residents can find the latest evacuation information through Alert Monterey County at alertmry.org/alerts.
Fire grows to 1,723 acres
The Timber Fire has continued to grow rapidly since Sunday. CAL FIRE reported the fire at 180 acres earlier Sunday before it grew to 400 acres Sunday evening, doubled to 800 acres by Monday morning and reached 1,330 acres by midday.
Containment remains at 5%. The fire had previously been reported at 20% contained as of 4:29 p.m. Sunday before CAL FIRE reported containment at 5% later Sunday night. Officials have not said what prompted the change in the reported containment percentage.
The U.S. Forest Service, which is the lead agency on the fire, said the Timber Fire started around 9:38 p.m. Saturday.
The fire is burning southeast of Loma Vista in the Los Padres National Forest.
Officials reported increased fire behavior Sunday evening, including spotting, as the fire continued to burn through heavy fuels in a remote area.
“The fire is burning in steep, rugged, and difficult terrain, which continues to hamper firefighter access and suppression efforts. CAL FIRE Incident Management Team 1 has been requested to assist with management of this rapidly evolving incident,” the U.S. Forest Service said Monday morning.
Aviation resources worked extensively on the fire Sunday and were expected to continue operating as weather conditions allow.
CAL FIRE’s Monday incident update lists no structures as damaged or destroyed and no civilian or firefighter injuries or fatalities.
The cause of the Timber Fire remains under investigation.
Highway 1 open, motorists urged to avoid area
State Route 1 is open in the Big Sur area amid the Timber Fire, according to the latest update from officials.
Motorists are highly encouraged to avoid the area and follow all evacuation orders and instructions from emergency personnel.
The latest update does not clarify an earlier report that Highway 1 was closed to the public between Point Sur Lighthouse and Partington Canyon, or whether conditions have since changed.
Officials said they will continue to provide updates as conditions change.
Evacuation Resources
The County of Monterey announced on Monday that they have collaborated with the American Red Cross to open an evacuation shelter for those displaced by the Timber Fire.
The shelter will open at 7 p.m. Monday at Carmel Middle School, located at 4380 Carmel Valley Road in Carmel.
The shelter will remain open until evacuation orders associated with the Timber Fire in Big Sur are lifted and residents can safely return home.
Evacuees will have access to food, drinking water, cots, blankets and comfort kits. American Red Cross and Monterey County shelter personnel will also be available to assist.
The SPCA for Monterey County will be stationed at the shelter to provide a dedicated area and assistance for evacuees with pets.
Residents evacuating with animals are encouraged to bring their pets, along with pet food, medications, leashes, carriers and other essential supplies when possible.
“Our priority is to make sure people affected by the Timber Fire have a safe place to go and the support they need while evacuation orders remain in effect,” Monterey County Communications Director Nick Pasculli said.
The County of Monterey also announced that it is establishing a Temporary Evacuation Point in Big Sur to assist residents under evacuation orders.
The evacuation point will be located at the Big Sur Station Multi-Agency Facility. It will be open through Thursday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. or until the evacuation orders are lifted.
Comfort kits, water and snacks will be provided on-site by the American Red Cross.
“The TEP provides a designated location for evacuees to temporarily gather, receive incident information and resource referrals, and coordinate next steps as conditions evolve. Residents in Evacuation Order Areas can request sheltering resources at the TEP in person,” the county said.
This is a developing story. Stay with KSBW 8 for updates.