Bridgton man set to return to Maine after nearly 7 months in immigration detention

Bridgton man set to return to Maine after nearly 7 months in immigration detention

BRIDGTON, Maine —

A Bridgton man who spent nearly seven months in immigration detention has been released and granted lawful permanent resident status, according to his supporters and U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree.

Lake Region Indivisible said Saturday that Marcos Gaspar-Da Silva was released from immigration detention in Arizona after being transferred among detention facilities in three states.

The group said Gaspar-Da Silva experienced health problems and what his family described as unsanitary conditions during his detention.

Pingree, in a statement Saturday, said Gaspar-Da Silva had been released, granted lawful permanent residency and reunited with his wife, Alessia.

The couple is expected to return to Maine on Sunday, according to Lake Region Indivisible. The group said they are scheduled to arrive at Portland International Jetport at about 9:30 p.m.

Lake Region Indivisible said the couple is inviting members of the press, supporters and community members to the airport for his return. The group said the couple remains concerned about a possible Immigration and Customs Enforcement presence and fears Gaspar-Da Silva could be taken back into custody.

Pingree said her staff supported Alessia during the ordeal, helped expedite her petition to bring her husband home and pressed detention officials about his medical care.

ICE and the Department of Homeland Security had not independently confirmed Gaspar-Da Silva’s release or immigration status as of Saturday evening.