22 August 2026

Giovanni Pernice was left depressed after being accused of bullying and harassment by his Strictly Come Dancing partner Amanda Abbington.

Giovanni Pernice details depression after Strictly scandal

Giovanni Pernice details depression after Strictly scandal

Sherlock actress Amanda, 53, made a shock exit from the show just weeks into the competition in 2023 and later accused her professional partner Giovanni of subjecting her to “vile abuse” during rehearsals, prompting an enquiry from the BCC.

The 34-year-old dancer was probed over 16 allegations in total, with the BBC upholding six of the complaints and clearing him on 10 counts, and Giovanni admitted the whole experience took a huge toll on his mental health.

According to The Daily Mail newspaper, he wrote in his tell-all book, Gio my story: “Hunched on the sofa of my London flat, I scrolled through my phone as story after story brought bad news, plunging me deeper into depression.

“Is it worth it? I asked myself. What would happen if I wasn’t here any more? Who would care?

“Tomorrow, I pledged, I would end it all. My life was over and the emotional pain was becoming unbearable.”

Giovanni claimed his Sicilian heritage was the reason he “pushed” his partners to perform to the best of their abilities.

He wrote: “Some celebrities think they can rehearse for only three or four hours a day. But that achieves nothing. I’m Sicilian. I push as much as I can.

“It’s like when you go to the gym and the personal trainer says: ‘Come on, push, push, work harder.’”

Meanwhile, Amanda Abbington recently received a “substantial” payout from the BBC after she made a legal complaint about her ill-fated stint on Strictly Come Dancing.

She was reportedly given a five-figure out-of-court settlement and a contribution to her legal fees from BBC Studios, preventing a lengthy court battle and allowing Amanda – who was subsequently diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – to put her ordeal behind her.

A source previously told The Sun on Sunday newspaper: “Amanda’s friends and family are all relieved for her that this ordeal is finally over. It’s been a long, hard journey, but now she can close this chapter and move on with her life.

“The fact the BBC have compensated Amanda as well as previously publicly apologising really proves that they are taking responsibility for the bullying she suffered on set.

“She hopes that this case will give others strength and encourage people to speak up.”

Following an investigation by the BBC, Giovanni was cleared of the most serious accusations made against him and the broadcaster issued a formal apology to Amanda.