The Kabul Tribune (KT) — AfghanEvac, an advocacy
organization for Afghan refugees and U.S. wartime allies, is urging Afghans not
to make travel plans or visit U.S. embassies following a federal court ruling
that struck down the Trump administration’s suspension of immigrant visa
processing for nationals of 75 countries, including Afghanistan.
The organization said the ruling does not automatically
reopen the pathway to the United States for Afghan applicants.
Shawn VanDiver, founder and president of AfghanEvac, said
the hopes of Afghan families following news of the ruling are understandable
but cautioned that individual cases have not automatically changed. AfghanEvac
identifies VanDiver as the organization’s founder and president. (AfghanEvac)
“Nothing in your case has automatically changed,” VanDiver
said, urging applicants not to make travel plans or go to a U.S. embassy or
consulate for an interview unless one has been officially scheduled.
Judge Strikes Down 75-Country Visa Policy
U.S. District Judge Jeannette Vargas of the Southern
District of New York on Friday vacated a Trump administration policy that had
suspended immigrant visa processing for citizens of 75 countries.
The policy was implemented by Secretary of State Marco Rubio
in January. Vargas ruled that Rubio had exceeded his statutory authority and
that the policy conflicted with the Immigration and Nationality Act.
The judge said the policy improperly required consular officers
to refuse immigrant visas based solely on an applicant’s nationality, rather
than allowing them to determine eligibility on an individual basis. (AP
News)
Afghanistan was among the countries covered by the
suspension.
Afghan Applicants Urged to Wait
Despite the court ruling, AfghanEvac said applicants should
not assume that their cases have resumed or that they are now authorized to
travel.
“Do not plan for travel,” VanDiver said. “Do not go to an
embassy or consulate for an interview that has not been scheduled for you, and
do not treat news reports as instructions to take action.”
The organization also warned Afghans against people claiming
that the U.S. pathway has immediately reopened.
“Do not trust anyone who tells you that the pathway is now
open,” VanDiver said, urging applicants not to provide personal information or
pay money to individuals making such claims.
Calls for Clear Guidance
AfghanEvac is calling on the U.S. State Department to issue
clear instructions to U.S. embassies and diplomatic missions about how the
ruling affects visa applicants.
The organization also wants the government to review cases
that were denied or otherwise affected by the now-vacated policy.
The court ruling vacates the visa policy and the denials
issued solely under it, but the broader U.S. restrictions affecting entry by
Afghan nationals remain a separate issue. (Press
TV)
AfghanEvac Seeks SIV Exemption
AfghanEvac is also calling on the Trump administration to
restore an entry exemption for Afghans who hold Special Immigrant Visas, or
SIVs.
The organization has previously advocated for the continuation
of the Afghan SIV program and restoration of visa processing for Afghan wartime
allies. VanDiver’s recent report for AfghanEvac described the organization’s
efforts to restore the SIV exemption and address a backlog of Afghan
applicants. (AfghanEvac)
AfghanEvac is also urging Congress to take action to address
the uncertainty facing Afghan applicants and their families.
The court ruling represents a significant legal setback for
the administration’s 75-country immigrant visa suspension, but AfghanEvac says
applicants should wait for official instructions before taking steps based on
the decision. (Reuters)