Fireman threatened rape after offering to protect pupil, 16

5 comments
  1. >#Fireman threatened rape after offering to protect pupil, 16

    > Connor Gordon
    >Tuesday November 22 2022, 12.01am GMT, The Times

    >A fireman who threatened to rape a lone 16-year-old girl has been convicted of a series of street harassment incidents while driving at night.

    >Michael Roberts, 34, repeatedly asked the teenager to get into his car, insisting he would help her to avoid a “bunch of boys” further ahead and give her a lift home.

    >The former amateur boxer targeted the girl as she was walking alone in Maryhill, Glasgow, in the early hours of November 19 last year. The victim refused before being told by Roberts that “he was going to rape” her.

    >Ten days later Roberts approached a 16-year-old girl in Cardonald, calling her “sexy” and offering her up to £100 to get into his car and give directions.

    >Roberts, of Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire, was found guilty at Glasgow sheriff court of two charges of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards the girls.

    >The court heard from the student, now 17, who was approached in Maryhill. She said: “He asked me if I wanted a lift home . . . he was trying to convince me to get in his car. He was saying there was a bunch of boys further along the street and it was unsafe.”

    >Mark Allan, for the prosecution, asked how the witness felt. She replied: “That’s when I started getting a bit concerned as he wasn’t taking no for an answer.”

    >She told the court she could not see the “bunch of boys” ahead of her.

    >Roberts drove his car back round the street to be closer to her when he asked her again. She said that he opened the car door and tried to grab her.

    >Allan asked if Roberts said anything to her during these moments. She replied: “He said that I was to get in his car and he was going to rape me.”

    >The girl said she “just ran” until she arrived home a short distance away. She reported the matter to the police and CCTV showing part of the incident was shown in court.

    >The other victim, a sales adviser, said the driver asked her for directions and then offered to pay her to drive him.

    >The victim said she felt “scared” as Roberts offered her £60 and £100. He then asked where she worked and her age. She added: “He said, you are f***ing sexy, you” before he “sped off”.

    >Roberts was acquitted during the trial of an identical charge against a third 16-year-old girl.
    Sentence was deferred pending background reports until next month. Roberts was remanded in custody and may be put on the sex offenders register.

  2. Why would he not go on the sex offenders register? Surely the harassment was sexual in nature if they’ve found him guilty.

    I understand that he’s technically not committed a sexual act, however he attempted to kidnap her and expressed his desire to sexually assault her. He’s shown he’s a danger to young girls, specifically targeting 16 year old.

    He needs to be monitored closely and controlled so he doesn’t escalate.

    At the very least he should be permanently banned from ever being able to hold a public service position like this again.

Leave a Reply