The Duke of York’s daughter is said to have been left blindsided by news that Prince Andrew allegedly kept in touch with Jeffrey Epstein, despite previously saying he cut off contact

Left to right: Princess Eugenie (wearing a red dress and a black hat), Princess Beatrice (wearing a black and white dress with a black and white hat) and Prince Andrew (wearing a black suit, white shirt and blue tie). All are standing in a church during a service commemorating Queen Elizabeth II.Princess Beatrice was apparently deeply troubled by the latest news about Prince Andrew(Image: Hannah McKay/WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Princess Beatrice is reportedly “absolutely devastated” following the emergence of new emails involving her father, the Duke of York.

The emails in question, which have surfaced in the US, appear to show Prince Andrew communicating with Jeffrey Epstein in 2011, contradicting his previous claims that he hadn’t spoken to or seen the convicted sex offender since visiting his house in December 2010.

The disgraced financier was arrested on charges of sex trafficking children in July 2019 and was found dead in his jail cell a month later.

Emails released by the Financial Conduct Authority last month appear to show Andrew writing to Epstein saying: “Keep in close touch, and we’ll play some more soon!!!!”

Sources close to the situation have revealed that Beatrice, who recently welcomed her second daughter Athena, is deeply troubled by these developments.

Prince Andrew, in a black blazer, white shirt and blue tie, pulls an angry facial expression during his Newsnight interview in 2019The Duke of York claimed he cut off all ties with Jeffrey Epstein(Image: BBC)

According to an insider speaking to Woman’s Day magazine: “Beatrice is [privately] absolutely devastated. The situation has brought her and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, her husband, closer than ever before.”

The source also mentioned that Beatrice’s husband has been providing significant support, acting as a “buffer zone” to shield her from the ongoing scandal.

In a controversial Newsnight interview in 2019, Andrew denied any further contact with Epstein after their New York encounter, telling Emily Maitlis: “By mutual agreement, during that walk in the park, we decided that we would part company, and I left, I think it was the next day. And to this day, I never had any contact with him from that day forward.”

Woman’s Day reports that Beatrice, aged 36, is finding solace in her family, looking after little Sienna and Athena. The princess shared the news that her youngest was born on January 22 at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, reports Gloucestershire Live.

Although Beatrice was expected to give birth in spring, a change of plans occurred last December when medical advice suggested she avoid long-distance travel. This meant altering her Christmas plans to visit husband Edoardo’s family home.

Left to right: Sarah Ferguson wearing a dark blue dress and hat, Princess Beatrice wearing a white dress and hat, and Prince Andrew wearing a dark blue top hat, dark blue suit and yellow tie. He is also holding an umbrella by his side.Princess Beatrice, centre, with her parents Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew(Image: Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

Sarah Ferguson, Andrew’s former wife, celebrated Athena’s arrival on social media, expressing: “She is already so adored and I’m incredibly blessed to be a granny once again. So proud of Edo, Beatrice and the rest of my little 5-a-side team.”

Edoardo himself has said: “She is tiny and absolutely perfect” and that the family is “completely besotted with her”.

Buckingham Palace has been approached for a comment.