(Gray News) – President Donald Trump is suing the BBC for “anywhere between a billion and $5 billion” over a documentary his lawyers call “false” and “defamatory.”
While speaking with reporters about the BBC on Air Force One Friday, Trump said, “We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and $5 billion, probably sometime next week.”
The BBC said Director-General Tim Davie and news CEO Deborah Turness had both decided to leave the corporation. (SOURCE: AP)
The BBC apologized to Trump on Thursday, but said it “strongly disagreed there is a basis for a defamation claim.”
Trump had previously threatened to sue the BBC for $1 billion unless it retracted an October 2024 documentary and apologized for what his lawyers have described as “overwhelming financial and reputational harm.”
The BBC rejected the claim that the program was defamatory.
It had already apologized for an error of judgment in the documentary titled “Trump: A Second Chance?”
The documentary featured a portion of Trump’s Jan. 6, 2021, speech that was edited.
The BBC said it had no plans to rebroadcast the documentary on any of its platforms.
Copyright 2025 Gray Local Media, Inc. All rights reserved.