Counter-protesters far outnumbered anti-immigration activists at a planned rally outside a former barracks.

A ‘stop the boats’ march was set to take place outside Napier Barracks in Folkestone – despite all the asylum seekers living there being set to move out later this year.

The counter-protest outside Napier Barracks in Folkestone. Picture: Shepway Green PartyThe counter-protest outside Napier Barracks in Folkestone. Picture: Shepway Green Party

Police said earlier this week they would have sufficient resources in place for today’s rally.

There were reports of just seven anti-immigration protestors turning up to the protest this morning.

The leader of Ukip had also been set to offer his support at the event, but he failed to show.

Rosie Percy, who was part of the counter-protest organised by the Folkestone Action Network, says there were about 100 activists in her group.

“We will keep being present, keep fighting for what’s right, and keep showing that hope and love is stronger than hate,” she said.

The anti-immigration protest outside Napier Barracks in Folkestone. Picture: Rosie Percy / @coolasfolke on InstagramThe anti-immigration protest outside Napier Barracks in Folkestone. Picture: Rosie Percy / @coolasfolke on Instagram

She said her group arrived at 11am, while the anti-immigration protesters turned up shortly before midday and left after half an hour.

The local Green Party threw its support behind the Folkestone Action Network for attracting a large number of counter-protesters.

“This was originally to be a counter-protest, but in the end, only seven anti-immigration protesters turned up, significantly outnumbered by well over 100 people standing in noisy, cheerful solidarity,” the party posted on Facebook.

The Folkestone Action Network urged people to turn up despite reports that the anti-immigration protest had been cancelled.

Ukip leader Nick Tenconi had been set to attend but failed to show up.

Napier Barracks in Folkestone is being used to house asylum seekersNapier Barracks in Folkestone is being used to house asylum seekers

A poster by Folkestone Action Network shows a picture of Mr Tenconi and reads: “Please join us to say no to Ukip in our town.”

Napier Barracks – used to house asylum seekers since 2020 – is set to close down for good next month, ahead of being turned into housing.

The Home Office confirmed on October 22 it would be emptied by December 31 and handed back to the Ministry of Defence, which will hand over the keys to Taylor Wimpey.

It will be developed as part of the wider Shorncliffe Barracks site, much of which has already been built on.

Today’s event marks the second demonstration at the site in two months.

In September, a similar protest was attended by right-wing singer Missuskent, who performed some of her tracks.

About 30 activists gathered near a playground, but were met by a much larger counter-protest of more than 100 people.

Last week, KentOnline revealed how a WhatsApp group set up by Missuskent included messages calling for “mass Islam genocide” and the stockpiling of weapons.

Napier Barracks has a rocky history. In 2022, a High Court judgement deemed the facilities at the site were inadequate and the Home Office guilty of unlawful practices.

Six asylum seekers waiting for their claims to be considered won a legal challenge against the government after a judge ruled their accommodation fell significantly below the required standard.