This week, a Connecticut judge denied ExxonMobil’s motion to strike the state’s case against the company for lying about negatively impacting climate change.

HARTFORD, Conn. — The state of Connecticut secured a “complete victory” over ExxonMobil earlier this week, according to Attorney General William Tong.

On Wednesday in Hartford, Connecticut Superior Court Judge John Farley fully denied ExxonMobil’s motion to strike the state’s case against the company for its alleged lies about the negative environmental impacts of its products.

A release from Tong’s office claims that the state brought ExxonMobil to court because of its “decades of deceit regarding climate change.”

Court documents show that the state specifically alleges that ExxonMobil used unfair and deceptive trade practices associated with its sale and marketing of fossil fuel products in Connecticut.

State prosecutors say that ExxonMobil violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act by engaging in a “systematic campaign of deception” for decades regarding the impact of its fossil fuel products on the earth’s climate.

RELATED: CT Attorney General Tong sues ExxonMobil citing ‘deceit’ over climate change

The state also accuses the company of a more recent “greenwashing” campaign meant to enhance its image as an environmental steward to attract new customers.

ExxonMobil argued that the state’s claims are precluded by federal law, legally insufficient under the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act and barred by the First Amendment.

The company also challenged the state’s claims for relief as legally insufficient, time barred or presenting due process violations.

This did not stop its motion from being denied, a decision Tong felt was warranted.

“ExxonMobil is throwing the kitchen sink at us, trying every angle to invalidate our case. Once again, they have failed on every count,” Tong said.

Sign up for the FOX61 newsletters: Morning Forecast, Morning Headlines, Evening Headlines

In September 2020, Tong sued ExxonMobil under the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act to shine a light on ExxonMobil’s alleged effort to hide its knowledge that burning fossil fuels contributes to climate change.

The state is looking to put an end to the company’s alleged lies while holding it responsible monetarily.

Tong’s office notes that ExxonMobil initially sought to remove the case to federal court. 

The company lost in both federal district court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

RELATED: Connecticut AG Tong implores Shopify to stop ‘facilitating’ illegal e-cigarette sales

ExxonMobil did not seek cert to the U.S. Supreme Court and instead filed a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction in state court. That motion was denied.

Leading up to the most recent proceedings, ExxonMobil filed the motion to strike in state court. Ultimately, Farley denied in full each of the company’s assertions.

Tong did not appear surprised by the result. He expressed that the state’s case is both simple and strong.

“ExxonMobil amassed billions of dollars in profits off a decade-long campaign of lies, and they must be held accountable,” Tong said. “We are in the midst of discovery and are aggressively prosecuting this case in Connecticut to uncover and expose ExxonMobil’s lies and to hold the company accountable for the harm their deception has caused.” 

Dalton Zbierski is a digital content producer and writer at FOX61 News. He can be reached at dzbierski@FOX61.com

Do you have a story idea or something on your mind you want to share? We want to hear from you! Email us at newstips@fox61.com.

HERE ARE MORE WAYS TO GET FOX61 NEWS

Download the FOX61 News APP

iTunes: Click here to download

Google Play: Click here to download

Stream Live on ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching FOX61.

Steam Live on FIRE TV: Search ‘FOX61’ and click ‘Get’ to download.

 FOLLOW US ON XFACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM