The Eurovision Song Contest is back for 2026, but five competition regulars have chosen to boycott this year’s contest in Austria.

Thanks to JJ’s win in last year’s Eurovision Song Contest, Austria will host in Vienna this year, with 35 countries turning up to the Wiener Stadthalle.

Only 25 countries are allowed to compete in the final on Saturday, May 16, meaning 10 countries had to bid farewell to the competition after the semi-finals.

For those of us in the UK, we could breathe a sigh of relief as we’re automatically guaranteed a place in the final thanks to being part of the “Big Four”.

Italy, Germany and France are also guaranteed the same spot, as well as hosting country Austria who have also escaped the qualms of the semi-finals.

However, this year five competition regulars will be not be taking part, with Iceland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Slovenia and Spain choosing to boycott the event.

The countries said they are boycotting the competition due to Israel’s participation following the conflict in Gaza. Some countries called for a vote to see if Israel should be allowed to participate, but as this vote was not held they chose to boycott instead.

Announcing the boycott, Irish national broadcaster RTE described Israel’s participation as “unconscionable given the appalling loss of lives in Gaza”.

A statement said: “RTE remains deeply concerned by the targeted killing of journalists in Gaza during the conflict and the continued denial of access to international journalists to the territory.”

Dutch broadcaster Avrotros also announced that it would not broadcast the competition, saying it would be “incompatible with the public values that are essential to us”.

Israel Eurovision

Israel have been allowed to compete in the contest(Image: Getty Images)

Taco Zimmerman, chief executive, said: “Universal values like humanity and a free press have been seriously violated and are non-negotiable for us…

“We choose the core values of Avrotros and, as a public broadcaster, have the responsibility to remain true to these values, even when that is complicated or vulnerable.”

Stefan Eiriksson, director-general of broadcasting at Iceland’s RUV said: “There is no peace or joy connected to this contest as things stand now.

“On that basis, first and foremost, we are stepping back while the situation is as it is.”

In response to the countries boycotting, Eurovision director Martin Green said: “We respect the decision of all broadcasters who have chosen not to participate in [the] Eurovision Song Contest and hope to welcome them back soon.”

In response to the decision to allow Israel to compete at next year’s Eurovision Song Contest, the country’s president Isaac Herzog wrote on X: “Israel deserves to be represented on every stage around the world, a cause to which I am fully and actively committed.

“I am pleased that Israel will once again participate in the Eurovision Song Contest and I hope that the competition will remain one that champions culture, music, friendship between nations and cross-border cultural understanding.

“Thank you to all our friends who stood up for Israel’s right to continue to contribute and compete at Eurovision. This decision demonstrates solidarity, fellowship and co-operation, and reinforces the spirit of affinity between nations through culture and music.”

Iceland and the Netherlands will broadcast the contest, but the other three countries will not be. Instead, Ireland have informed that they will be playing a Eurovision-themed episode of popular sitcom Father Ted.

Slovenia have confirmed that they will be broadcasting a series called Voices of Palestine, meanwhile Spain will run its own musical special, The House of Music.