OWN Correspondent and Marsha Bothma|Published 15 hours ago

Add Plainsman as a preferred source on GoogleFollow Plainsman on Google News

Mitchell’s Plain is taking a decisive step forward in the fight against gang violence and youth vulnerability.

Community leaders say the focus is shifting from discussion to action as local structures mobilise to create safer neighbourhoods and stronger opportunities for young people.

On Saturday April 18, more than 150 community leaders, government officials and residents gathered at Hazeldene Primary School in Portland for the Mitchell’s Plain Safety and Development Forum’s (MPSDF) safe zone workshop, marking a shift from planning to implementation.

The workshop forms part of the Mitchell’s Plain Integrated Safety and Development Plan, aimed at building safer communities and creating opportunities.

Tyrone Parks said safe zones are practical, locally designed safety hubs that allow young people to move safely, access support and take part in structured activities.

He said each safe zone will include a secure hub offering programmes, basic resources and access to services, including connectivity. The aim is to reduce exposure to gangs, drugs and crime by providing safe alternatives. The approach recognises that risk increases when young people lack safe spaces, support and guidance.

He said the initiative is community-driven, shaped through earlier consultations that highlighted safer routes and protected spaces.

Western Cape MEC for Police Oversight and Community Safety Anroux Marais reaffirmed the government’s support, stressing that “safety cannot be delivered by government alone, but must be built together with communities.”

She said it became clear during early engagement that the community had already started doing the work, with ideas, plans and initiatives already in motion.

“Instead of imposing a plan from the outside, we made a deliberate decision to incorporate those existing ideas into the MPSDP because the residents know what the problems are and what the solutions will be,” said Ms Marais.

MPSDF chairperson Abie Isaacs said: “A safe zone is a whole-of-society approach involving schools, faith groups, NGOs, SAPS and residents, with the Forum playing a coordinating role to ensure alignment and accountability.”

Mitchell’s Plain police station commander Brian Muller outlined local crime patterns and their impact on families and daily life.

Participants were divided into five priority areas including Beacon Valley, Hyde Park in Tafelsig, Montrose Park, Rocklands and Strandfontein.

They mapped local assets such as schools, churches and sports clubs while identifying gaps and urgent needs. This strengths-based approach focused on existing community resources and how they can be better connected.

The next phase will deepen community ownership through designated zone leads working with MPSDF structures. Coordination between the City, Province and police will be strengthened. Further workshops will be held in each area to confirm priorities and tailor interventions to local needs.

There is urgency due to ongoing gang violence, but also hope rooted in action. The safe zones initiative aims to reclaim spaces, restore dignity and create opportunity. The workshop closed with a clear message that building safer communities is a shared responsibility and the process must continue one zone at a time, said Mr Parks.

Follow Plainsman on TikTok @the.plain59 and Instagram @ccmonlineza