“Just managing.” That’s how relatives of the Monswamy family describe life after laying their loved ones to rest.
Family spokesperson Vim Pillay told IOL that the reality of the loss has now fully set in, adding that the family is simply getting through each day as best they can.
“The family is managing. It’s hard, but we are taking each day at a time,” he said.
He said no new evidence had come to light.
“The fourth perpetrator is still at large,” said Pillay.
Three men appeared in court on Tuesday, exactly a week after Alan Monswamy, 52, his wife Sandy, 57, their children Kraidon, 26, and Shamaria, 20, as well as relatives Gonosagren Padayachee, 51, Mooniamma Padayachee, 78, and Mariama Happanah, 83, were allegedly kidnapped from their home in Newtown, Newark, before being taken to Melmoth, where they were killed.
Following an intensive investigation involving several law enforcement units, three suspects aged 21, 26 and 28 were arrested on Wednesday afternoon.
In a statement, the Office of the Provincial Police Commissioner said preliminary reports indicated that a domestic helper employed by the victims arrived at their home on Wednesday morning last week and discovered the house had been broken into, while seven people and a vehicle were missing.
Police investigations further revealed that one of the suspects had previously worked for the family.
The suspects later led police to Melmoth, where the bodies of the seven victims were discovered.
The tragedy has sent shockwaves through the community.
Family, friends and residents gathered in large numbers to pay their final respects at a mass funeral on Sunday.
IOL News
Get your news on the go. Download the latest IOL App for Android and IOS now.