A group of migrants make their way back to Morocco from the short-stay centre CETI towards the border post, escorted by Spanish infantry soldiers. Photo / Henry Nicholls, AFP
AFP on Saturday saw migrant minors milling around in a disused industrial park in Ceuta. Others were seen dozing on the pavements outside.
The linflux into the enclave has caused an international crisis for Spain, with European partners criticising Madrid for its immigration policies.
Outside a housing project near Ceuta port, Spanish soldiers detained a group of nine tired-looking migrants who were sitting on the pavement, guarded by troops with an armoured car, an AFP reporter said.
Small inflatable boats from a rescue unit scoured the waters around the border barrier that extends into the Mediterranean Sea, where a new 500m floating boom reinforced security.
Civil Guard were also taking migrants off a bus to escort them back to the border post to return to Morocco.
The border crossing was calm, with groups of workers picking up trash, clothes and rubbish left behind during the mass crossing.
Spain has blamed criminal gangs for spreading rumours that a recent Spanish Supreme Court ruling on immigration would allow migrants easier passage.
Some analysts suggested Morocco could allow migrants to cross the border to put diplomatic pressure on Spain, which has recently improved ties with Rabat’s arch-enemy neighbouring Algeria.
Spanish infantry soldiers watch a group of migrants sitting on the ground near the border post, prior to escorting them back to Morocco, in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta. Photo / Henry Nicholls, AFP
In 2021, around 10,000 migrants crossed into Ceuta, taking advantage of Morocco easing border controls as a way to pressure Spain.
Moroccan officials have so far not offered any statement on the crisis.
But some of those who crossed the border said they had heard the border was open – a rumour quickly amplified on social media.
The EU said it would hold a video call on Tuesday after 22 bloc members issued a joint open letter calling for an urgent meeting to agree a speedy coordinated response, and to prevent further uncontrolled crossings.
Italy on Saturday implemented a one-month suspension of its Schengen agreement with Spain allowing for visa-free movement between borders.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, in a letter to EU leaders, blasted the “selfish” reaction by some EU countries.
Pope Leo XIV on Sunday spoke to the situation in Ceuta in his daily prayers on Sunday, saying he was following it “with concern” and hoping for a solution of “peace, stability and justice”.
– AFP