{"id":378689,"date":"2026-08-14T23:53:13","date_gmt":"2026-08-14T23:53:13","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/378689\/"},"modified":"2026-08-14T23:53:13","modified_gmt":"2026-08-14T23:53:13","slug":"r57m-spaza-shop-fund-committee-says-no-payments-went-to-foreign-owned-shops","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/378689\/","title":{"rendered":"R57m Spaza Shop Fund: Committee says no payments went to foreign-owned shops"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The R57 million Spaza Shop Support Fund has reached its intended beneficiaries, said the\u00a0Portfolio Committee on <a title=\"R500m Spaza Fund: What officials uncovered before a cent was paid out\" href=\"https:\/\/iol.co.za\/business\/2026-08-13-r500m-spaza-fund-what-officials-uncovered-before-a-cent-was-paid-out\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Small Business<\/a> Development on Friday.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>According to the Department of Small Business Development, a total of 930 disbursements had been made as of July 31, 2026. The department further assured the committee that no single disbursement had been made to a spaza shop owned by a foreign national.<\/p>\n<p>Committee Chairperson Masefako Dikgale praised the stringent internal controls and due diligence measures implemented by the department and the Small Enterprise Development Finance Agency (SEDFA). Dikgale said the money went to qualifying<a title=\"Local spaza shop owners in KZN call for government support amidst struggles\" href=\"https:\/\/iol.co.za\/news\/south-africa\/kwazulu-natal\/2026-07-29-local-spaza-shop-owners-in-kzn-call-for-government-support-amidst-struggles\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\"> South African<\/a> citizens operating legitimate spaza shop businesses.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe committee engaged with the department and the agency on allegations that the fund had been disbursed to spaza shops operated by foreign nationals through South African fronts. We were assured that applications are subjected to stringent verification processes before any funds are disbursed,\u201d Dikgale said.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>She said if an application reveals an operator mismatch or other indicators of fraud, it must not proceed to disbursement.\u00a0\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe committee\u2019s engagement with the department and the agency follows the Public Protector\u2019s announcement on 17 July 2026 that her office had issued a Section 7(9) notice to the City of Johannesburg, City of Ekurhuleni and City of Tshwane,\u201d he said.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>Dikgale said the notice arose from a systemic investigation into food-safety regulation and enforcement at spaza shops and other informal food businesses in Gauteng.<\/p>\n<p>She said the investigation identified verified cases of business fronting, beneficiary mismatches, fraud and misrepresentation, including instances where South Africans were registered as licence holders or beneficiaries while foreign nationals operated the businesses.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThese findings formed the basis for allegations by members of the public that some funding from the fund may have reached spaza shops operated by foreign nationals. The committee regarded the allegations seriously, particularly because the fund is intended to support qualifying South African-owned and operated businesses,\u201d Dikgale said\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>The department informed the committee that its internal due diligence processes had successfully identified and flagged operator mismatches and other fraudulent applications before payment. As a result, Dikgale said, no financial disbursements were made in respect of the fraudulent applications identified through the verification process.<\/p>\n<p>Dikgale said the committee would continue exercising parliamentary oversight to ensure that the fund achieves its intended objectives.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe will ensure that every rand intended for qualifying South African entrepreneurs is protected and accounted for. Support must reach genuine beneficiaries, not fraudulent fronts. The committee will remain vigilant against any attempt to circumvent the rules or defraud the state,\u201d she said.<\/p>\n<p>The committee encourages members of the public and small-business stakeholders to report suspected fraud, fronting or misrepresentation through the appropriate channels. The committee calls on all beneficiaries and applicants to comply fully with the Fund\u2019s requirements and to provide truthful information during the application and verification processes.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/iol.co.za\/cdn-cgi\/l\/email-protection\" class=\"__cf_email__\" data-cfemail=\"79031810170c15571d180e16161d39101615571a16570318\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">[email\u00a0protected]<\/a><\/p>\n<p>IOL<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The R57 million Spaza Shop Support Fund has reached its intended beneficiaries, said the\u00a0Portfolio Committee on Small Business&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":378690,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[52],"tags":[19786,13659,33191,138055,4921,181134,181129,181133,181130,13699,181132,181131,131,3513,151657,172600],"class_list":["post-378689","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-south-africa","tag-city-of-ekurhuleni","tag-city-of-johannesburg","tag-city-of-tshwane","tag-department-of-small-business-development","tag-gauteng","tag-https-iol-co-za-business-2026-08-13-r500m-spaza-fund-what-officials-uncovered-before-a-cent-was-paid-out-development","tag-masefako-dikgale","tag-portfolio-committee-on-small-business","tag-portfolio-committee-on-small-business-development","tag-public-protector","tag-sedfa","tag-small-enterprise-development-finance-agency","tag-south-africa","tag-south-african","tag-spaza-shop-support-fund","tag-zainul-dawoodiol-co-za"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"","error":"Validation failed: Text character limit of 500 exceeded"},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/378689","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=378689"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/378689\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/378690"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=378689"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=378689"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/africa\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=378689"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}