Wild scenes have erupted at Brisbane’s Victoria Park, where arrests have been made after a massive police presence moved in to clear an Indigenous protest camp just days before the construction of the city’s new Olympic stadium begins.
At least 40 police officers, alongside firefighters and Brisbane City Council staff, converged on the site to dismantle the “Goori Camp Embassy”.
The tent embassy was established to block the planned $3.6 billion centre piece stadium for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Tensions escalated as authorities gave campers a 2pm deadline to pack up and leave.
By about 2.20pm, officers moved in and started taking down the camp.
While one group departed the park peacefully, a larger faction refused to budge, chanting, “always was, always will be Indigenous land”.
Two people were arrested during the standoff, with police confirming a man was charged with obstructing police and a woman was detailed for allegedly assaulting an officer.
“Queensland Police Service (QPS) officers are at Victoria Park supporting partner agencies as they undertake engagement, offers of support services and compliance action, if necessary, with a focus on maintaining community safety and ensuring the safety of all involved,” a QPS spokesman said.
“During today’s initial engagement, a man and a woman were taken into police custody in relation to obstruct and assault police offences.
Ownership of the parkland is scheduled to transfer to the Games independent Infrastructure and Coordination Authority on Monday, at which point the site will be fenced off for five years.
Activists argue the park holds recognised historic Aboriginal gathering significance, and the group is currently awaiting a federal decision on an application for cultural heritage protection. However, the state government bypassed several heritage and planning laws last year to fast-track the build.
Deputy Premier Jarrod Bleijie warned that outstanding federal challenges would not delay the project, citing safety risks once the area becomes an active construction zone.
The Labor Opposition was forced to postpone an 11am press conference at the park due to the chaos, while Greens MP Michael Berkman labelled the council’s response as “heavy handed and unnecessary”.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner stated that the council is working closely with police to ensure the state takes seamless possession of the land.
“There is a right to protest but also the people of Queensland expect us to get on with this project and we don’t have time to lose,” Mr Schrinner said.
More to come
Originally published as Brisbane 2032: Massive police presence descends on Olympic Stadium protest group