A One Nation fundraiser planned for Friday night in Melbourne was thrown into chaos after the venue scrapped the event, with Pauline Hanson and Barnaby Joyce instead arriving at another location as protesters gathered outside.

Demonstrators yelled “Nazi!” outside the venue and held up signs including “Piss off Pauline” as dozens of police and security personnel could be seen around the building.

Senator Hanson said there were “too many bookings, people wanting to come”.

“So that’s why we had to change location,” she said. “Do you think I’d be deterred by the protesters?”

Victoria Police earlier on Friday said the Moonee Ponds venue was no longer holding the event, with a spokesperson saying the decision was made by the venue. “Victoria Police is not aware of any threats made to the venue or event,” the spokesperson said. “Police will maintain a presence in the area due to potential protest activity.”

Protests took place outside Friday night’s event. The Victorian Socialists party posted on social media: “Hanson is coming to Melbourne – we have to set the precedent of real, grassroots opposition to her rabidly pro-billionaire and racist politics.”

Senator Hanson and Mr Joyce were to headline “An Evening for Victoria”, a cocktail function at Moonee Ponds venue Casa Giorgio, which organisers said would bring together business leaders, community figures and supporters seeking “a stronger direction for Victoria”. Tickets started at $200, while attendees could pay $2000 for a private audience with Senator Hanson.

It comes as Senator Hanson celebrates the success of One Nation’s anti-Labor fundraising campaign, after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese publicly questioned the authenticity of donations flowing to the party.

On Thursday night, the One Nation leader took to social media to declare the party’s “Fire the Liar” fundraising website and its donations tally were “ridgy-didge”.

As of Friday morning, the website reported it had raised $2.9m, edging closer to its stated target of $3.1m.

One Nation is also nearing a decision on who will lead the Victorian campaign at the state election.

The Australian has previously reported that former Northern Territory chief minister Adam Giles and ex-special forces soldier Heston Russell are among those considered for the role.

Senior party figures believe appointing a high-profile Victorian leader is critical to maximising the party’s chances of winning seats in November, pointing to former senator Cory Bernardi’s profile in South Australia as an example of the electoral benefits of strong state-based leadership.

In March, The Australian revealed Mr Giles quit the Victorian Nationals after being issued a formal “please explain” over his public backing of One Nation. He is now based in Victoria and serves as the head of Gina Rinehart’s cattle and clothing businesses.

Mr Russell has built a public profile in recent years, most prominently through successfully suing the ABC for defamation as well as through his advocacy for Victoria Cross recipient and Ben Roberts-Smith, who has been charged with alleged war crimes.

Recent polls have shown One Nation is attracting more than 20 per cent of primary support in Victoria, with both Labor and the Coalition also stuck in the 20s.

Premier Jacinta Allan has spent much of this year criticising Liberal leader Jess Wilson for not ruling out a preference deal with Senator Hanson’s party, but this week she conceded One Nation was taking “a slice” of Labor’s vote.

“One Nation is cannibalising the Liberal Party vote, the National Party vote, and I will also acknowledge it is taking a slice out of the Labor vote as well,” Ms Allan said.

“We have to see that, hear that, understand that, keep listening to Victorians, but more importantly, taking action to help people right now with those pressures that are real.”